Portable antenna question

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Has anyone ever used one of these Motorola VHF Wideband antenna's? Covers 136-174? I bought one and just got it in today and was wondering what anyone thought about it if they'd used it.

It's Motorola 8505518V01

Attachments

• 20160227_195701.jpg
    20160227_195701.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 16

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
in regards to what? a martini shaker? your question isn't really specific in to what your referring to? :)

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
in regards to what? a martini shaker? your question isn't really specific in to what your referring to? :)

Sorry didn't proof read my question. Lol. That's what happens when you are exhausted.

No, I just wanted to know if anyone had used it before and want to know how they thought it performed. Only info and reviews I found on Google were people who had bought something like it and it was knock off.

No one in my area has Motorola antennas so I wasn't sure about how good this one was performance wise.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
are you using it on a Motorola radio? what frequency?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
then theoretically it should work for what you want otherwise the big /\/\ wouldn't sell it. Im sure their radios have SWR protection built into them....

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
then theoretically it should work for what you want otherwise the big /\/\ wouldn't sell it. Im sure their radios have SWR protection built into them....

Yeah. I figured it would. Only ones I've ever used on it were for certain sections of the band like the 150-162. Figured I'd at least give it a try. Normally I'd ask before I bought but I needed an antenna bad. Lol. Didn't know how many people used this specific antenna or not.

The local dealer only sells Kenwood and Vertex so not much to go on locally with motorola.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
I had one of these on my Xts3000 and it worked well, but I ended up getting a Moto VHF helical antenna intended for the freq range I utilize (I believe a 150-162 mhz model). The helical was just as good if not better for tx/rx, and is a little bit shorter and less awkward.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Few of the radios have those at work. Not bad. Just awkward because they are so tall. As radios go out of service and get sent in for repair some seem to have come back with the slightly shorter helical antenna. Don't know the reasoning for them swapping to the helical. Other than being more band specific.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Few of the radios have those at work. Not bad. Just awkward because they are so tall. As radios go out of service and get sent in for repair some seem to have come back with the slightly shorter helical antenna. Don't know the reasoning for them swapping to the helical. Other than being more band specific.

True. The guy who programs my XTS is a Kenwood/Vertex dealer but owns some Motorola so he programs them on the side and stuff, and he calls it the armpit tickler.

I usually carry my radio on my belt slightly tilted to the front of me. Or, now that I have some Li-Ion Impres batteries off of ebay, I carry it on my pocket. Either way the antenna doesn't bother me a whole lot even for its length.

Reactions: firebuff17

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.