Portable siren

badger54

Nov 9, 2014
so I keep getting assigned unmarked vehicles with just lights and no sirens. I was wondering if anyone knew of a portable siren that I could buy with a cigarette plug that I could either mount with a magnet or some other non destructive means and then easily remove at the end of my shift. Legally I can run code with just lights but having the siren makes it way easier to clear traffic and intersections.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
1 major issue- speaker mounting. Are you in the same make and model every day? if so, you have to select a universal compact speaker, determine a suitable mounting point that can direct the sound, unobstructed thru the grill, and then a reliable temporary mounting bracket/system. I would attempt some type of heavy duty clamping system or bolt thru that can hold the weight of the speaker and withstand the bumps and turns of a moving vehicle.
Once that is resolved, I'd clamp power directly to the battery terminal and chassis ground and route the power and speaker leads from under the hood into the passenger cabin. All wires routed into the passenger cabin should be heavy duty enough to resist puncturing/shorting by the door closing.

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
Code 3 has a portable siren & lights kit: http://www.code3pse.com/products/group/police/sirens

Maybe you could track down just the siren portion?
From the description, it looks like they just add quick-connect plugs to a regular siren (either the Sprinter or the H2 Covert) and use clamps to mount the speaker. That shouldn't be hard to do on your own. Still the issue of running the wires to the speaker, though.

It's expensive, but I'd suggest using a waterproof siren amp like the Whelen WPA112 and mounting some lightbar magnets to it. Use alligator battery clamps for power/ground and run them to a small junction box (again, lightbar magnet) that houses remote control receivers (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068D0OBI/?tag=elightbars-20) that trigger 12V relays to run the siren with 2 tones. Add 10ft of speaker wire, wire loom, a clamp or another magnet for the siren and you've got a tidy package that installs in minutes with nothing run into the cab. Just be careful with the magnet on the junction box so you don't jam the relays.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOHCZC

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.