Post mount spotlight on 2017 Ford F-150 pickup

grondoline

Jun 8, 2011
USA/Maryland
I've wanted to put one on my truck, but

1. The lower angle of rake of the A pillar,
2. The position the grab handle,
3. And the decreased space between the raised part of the dashboard and the A pillar

look to be combining to limit the range of motion of the spotlight handle without a real long shaft.
(also the steering wheel would be close)

Has Unity received any feedback from F-150 users about this? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 8

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
After Searching the Modifiers Guide for the NEW F150 Responder, I have not seen anything as of yet for the Installation of a Spot light on that pillar or anywhere, just info briefly on Light Bar Mount in the Roof Bow. Will Check for a Option for the Responder if available... nothing posted yet..

Attachments

• F150 installation Considerations.pdf
    294.5 KB · Views: 16

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
I've wanted to put one on my truck, but

1. The lower angle of rake of the A pillar,
2. The position the grab handle,
3. And the decreased space between the raised part of the dashboard and the A pillar

look to be combining to limit the range of motion of the spotlight handle without a real long shaft.
(also the steering wheel would be close)

Has Unity received any feedback from F-150 users about this? Any suggestions?

Thanks

grondoline,

We have had many customers install spotlights on current version of F-150 without any of the issues you mentioned. The light comes into the vehicle below the grab handle on both sides and does not impact the steering wheel. I have attached some photos of install. One shows passenger side and other driver side. Also attached is a document from Ford related to installation of spotlight.

For proper installation it is important to use a spotlight with a PL length shaft mounted with a 189 installation kit for driver side mount or 189RH installation kit for passenger side. Kits come with mounting template for determining proper install location.

PL Shaft Spotlights: http://www.unityusa.com/PL-Shaft_c_2970.html
189: http://www.unityusa.com/189-Installation-Kit_p_786.html
189RH: http://www.unityusa.com/189RH-Installation-Kit_p_788.html

Attachments

• 2017 Ford F pickups grab handle.jpg
    2017 Ford F pickups grab handle.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 2017 Superduty Distance to steering wheel 3.5 inch.jpg
    2017 Superduty Distance to steering wheel 3.5 inch.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 61
  • F150 and Super Duty-A pillar alteration-Ford Doc.pdf
    309 KB · Views: 29

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Wow you talk about playing it tight having to install a spotlight.... could they make it anymore difficult?? How much research did it take to figure out the proper angles and height to compromise structural integrity errr or avoid! LOL!

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
I'm in the process of writing spec for new work vehicles, and Ford is the only domestic manufacturer that does not offer a factory spotlight on their full size pickup...placement is probably why...

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
exactly, they dont like when you compromise the integrity of the roof supports, thats why there is companies like go light...

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
Post mount spotlights do not impact the integrity of the roof. In tests run by automotive companies they found no drop in integrity and Ford in the case of the crown vic found that the vehicle was stronger with the light installed.

Ford does not install spotlight on any Special Service Vehicles only on Interceptors and the Responder. The Interceptors are all done through a different up-fitting process and plant than the Special Service Vehicles

F150 is not a hard install there is plenty of room for half inch hole. 150mm is almost 6 inches. If you were coming at the post with just a drill it might be hard, but our setup involves a template designed to the specific vehicle. The template is used to install the mounting bracket first. Once the mounting hardware is installed it is used as a guide for drilling and keeps the process accurate.

Reactions: MtnMan

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Well that is the Nice thing about your spotlight installs is that template and the hardware which ensure a pretty straight forward solid hole, but being in the towing industry before I have seena pillar break at a spotlight hole, and since you dont make a filler for those holes for cars where they were removed you have to deal with that point being a weak link...

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
When the automotive companies run the roof crush tests for spotlights, they are run with the hole, but without the spotlight in the hole or mounting hardware. If the vehicle does not pass the industry standard with the hole then a spotlight does not get installed. The reason the Crown Vic test is special is because it was the rare time they also ran a test with the light installed. Ford, GM, Chrysler all install spotlights as a police option. They would not take on the liability if they saw any issue. By agreeing to add the spotlights they chose mounting location and responsibility for the safety of the location they choose.

Customer safety is a top priority for us even at the expense of sales. If we have any information that a spotlight would make a vehicle less safe, we do not publish an application for the vehicle and even to the most insistent customers recommend against them installing a light and provide alternative options. For example the current version of Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon would be a pretty big volume vehicle for us. We actively talk customers out of trying to add post style spotlight to those because we determined it would impact air bag deployment.

Sometimes customers install lights against our safety recommendations or install lights where they want instead of our engineered mounting location. It's a free country and we can make recommendations, suggestions, insist, but ultimately people do what they want.

I attached our roof crush standard compliance document.

Attachments

• T0302 FMVSS 216 COMPLIANCE BULLETIN.pdf
    142.6 KB · Views: 11

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Well we all know you cant hold a customers hand and install everything for them and since sometimes the drill didnt go exactly straight accidents happen.... I know its a thought but maybe unity can make a filler for vacant Spotlight holes so some added stability can be put back in the hole.. to help offset rust issues at the spotlight cutout on the door I started using Door Edge Guards trimmed to fit to keep moisture from starting rust from developing there...

grondoline

Jun 8, 2011
USA/Maryland
No, for the reasons stated in my original post in 2018. It just looked to me that the range of motion of the handle would be too awkward. I though about maybe a longer shaft than is spec'ed, but that would protrude further inside to be safe. My previous F-150 was a 2007 where the A-pillar was more vertical, leaving a lot more space to manipulate the spotlight handle. As it was said earlier in this thread, Ford does not offer the Unity spotlight on the F-150 SSV as a factory option. There are You Tube videos showing their installation on Police Interceptor Utilities with special robotic machines right on the assembly lines, as standard equipment. .

iamjavimartinez

Jan 7, 2015
No, for the reasons stated in my original post in 2018. It just looked to me that the range of motion of the handle would be too awkward. I though about maybe a longer shaft than is spec'ed, but that would protrude further inside to be safe. My previous F-150 was a 2007 where the A-pillar was more vertical, leaving a lot more space to manipulate the spotlight handle. As it was said earlier in this thread, Ford does not offer the Unity spotlight on the F-150 SSV as a factory option. There are You Tube videos showing their installation on Police Interceptor Utilities with special robotic machines right on the assembly lines, as standard equipment. .
Thanks for the reply. I was needing one for ranch stuff. Ended up ordering the whelen arges. I guess I’ll see if that was a good idea or not haha

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.