POV Response to a Commercial Vehicle Fire

jhallgren22

Sep 8, 2013
Norton, MA
I stopped a minute into the video after deciding it wasn't worth listening to the guys heavy breathing anymore. :bonk: :bonk: Anyone have the play by play?

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
White strobe dash light aimed at the hood.. Lil brother filming?  

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
play by play

whacker 1 and junior enroute to hall while driving not normal.

90 seconds into run they put  single dashmiser on  dash (crooked)

drool over smoke they see on the way to hall

2:30 they get to hall make fun of bubba for running to truck

they then proceed to block personnel door

they then stare at green fire truck while attempting dizzy bat baseball?

stare at more smoke

JR firefighter cries as he watches first due leave

then films more smoke while other FF are running to 2nd due out

jr FF then films 2nd due out the door. comments on smoke some more

vid ends JR FF goes and whacks it in the bathroom...

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I never got why ppl posted courtesy response vids b/c they're basically just driving normally with (hopefully) some ppl letting them pass.

On the other hand, those dudes are "creamers;" my guess is they had to change their pants after the tones went off, before hopping into their POV. I also think it's funny how a lot of volunteers & career FFs react differently to calls; vollies always crave calls (at least I did when I was one) and sprint to the rigs, while most career FFs would rather go a shift with few runs & walk at a snails pace to the trucks lol

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
I never got why ppl posted courtesy response vids b/c they're basically just driving normally with (hopefully) some ppl letting them pass.

On the other hand, those dudes are "creamers;" my guess is they had to change their pants after the tones went off, before hopping into their POV. I also think it's funny how a lot of volunteers & career FFs react differently to calls; vollies always crave calls (at least I did when I was one) and sprint to the rigs, while most career FFs would rather go a shift with few runs & walk at a snails pace to the trucks lol
This is probably one of the biggest things I have to check myself on when I'm responding - am I calm, cool, and collected?  The way I see it, if you're running adrenaline has gotten the better of you.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
This is probably one of the biggest things I have to check myself on when I'm responding - am I calm, cool, and collected?  The way I see it, if you're running adrenaline has gotten the better of you.
That's the big advantage of getting people on the trucks instead of them going POV. The ride over in the back of the rig gives you a change to get yourself calmed down and ready to go to work with a level head. Responding straight to the call in your POV doesn't give you that time to let your adrenaline die back down. 

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
That's the big advantage of getting people on the trucks instead of them going POV. The ride over in the back of the rig gives you a change to get yourself calmed down and ready to go to work with a level head. Responding straight to the call in your POV doesn't give you that time to let your adrenaline die back down.
That's my issue also. My adrenaline. Especially since I live far enough away that I won't make the truck. I'm constantly having to look down to make sure I'm going the speed limit. Once I'm on scene, I'm fine. But going to the call is the worst.

I'm also having to watch my temper. I get really irritated with drivers and have to watch myself so I'm not acting inappropriate towards other drivers while driving to the scene. Most of the time I don't but I still have to watch myself.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Making the truck is a big plus!  Being on a truck allows you to hear the radio with your crew-mates and start putting a plan together.  When you're POV you're flying blind and that uncertainty can make you anxious.

Mar 25, 2014
TX
Making the truck is a big plus!  Being on a truck allows you to hear the radio with your crew-mates and start putting a plan together.  When you're POV you're flying blind and that uncertainty can make you anxious.
Agreed.  We respond POV but ONLY TO THE STATION, and only when we're within a mile or two away.  Then hop on the truck and get mentally/physically prepped. I think that's the best way to do it.

Having a bunch of random scattered cars show up to a scene would be a disaster.  I can almost guarantee someone is going to park in the middle of everything, throw their gear on, and run into a structure...and then when a second alarm is called they're screwed until they can find him to move his car.  

Plus, you generally know your way to the station.  You might get confused trying to find some random house/building, and cause even more trouble.

Stage at the station.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.