POV response

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Here is my first pov response video.

Still testing out my mount and my video settings. If anyone has any tips for settings on the iPhone 7 plus, please let me know and I'll try to fix it for the next one.

Last edited:

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Video quality looked good to me. Might see if there is a wider angle setting similar to that of GoPros.

Reactions: Tony P
May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Pros: Safe response

Cons: Maybe not so much siren. Definitely not a lot of traffic out and judging by the reflection of your lights bouncing off street signs, you're probably pretty visible. But most of the time there wasn't anyone in your path of travel. But, just my opinion. If your department requires you run sirens when your lights are on then that's just what ya gotta do.

Reactions: Mattdecker

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Pros: Safe response

Cons: Maybe not so much siren. Definitely not a lot of traffic out and judging by the reflection of your lights bouncing off street signs, you're probably pretty visible. But most of the time there wasn't anyone in your path of travel. But, just my opinion. If your department requires you run sirens when your lights are on then that's just what ya gotta do.

Thanks. According to Ky law if I have one running, I have to have the other running.

There wasn't a lot of traffic but there was a bit that you couldn't see. They were all out of the camera range.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
New video added.

I had just pulled in the driveway when we got paged out for this.

Also, I tried a new angle for the camera. Right now it's positioned at the bottom of the drivers side windshield.

Note: When I come to the last stop sign in the video, there was quite a bit of traffic stopping and slowing down for me, you just can't really see it from my phones camera.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
In the second video, you parked right up front. Are you the chief?

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
In the second video, you parked right up front. Are you the chief?

Negative. I'm just a lowly firefighter.

In the last few seconds when I pull up, where the red pickup and the police car is parked, is parking for police officers and firefighters.

I pulled into the spot I did mainly just because our engineer was rushing me to get in the truck before he left me.

Our chief never responds in an apparatus. He always goes pov.

Depending on how many people show up, usually someone always parks where I did.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
Thanks. According to Ky law if I have one running, I have to have the other running.

There wasn't a lot of traffic but there was a bit that you couldn't see. They were all out of the camera range.

That's also a point, there isn't much traffic and you're really not going that fast in the videos. Is there really a NEED to go hot just to get to the station? In the two videos I don't think you broke a single major intersection and didn't have to move a single car. You could have gotten to the station in the same time without all the woo-woo's.

Siren changes, for me, are just needed at the intersections or getting the drivers head out of their ass if they don't move. The less I have to mess with the better.

Now I do believe in always giving feedback to help others because everything can be viewed differently. In the video 4/14 - Intersection A: Have you thought about a left approach, rather than going right for the right turn lane? The Mustang has no clue what to do...he's trying to pull to the right and stop.

Intersection B: A+ break

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
That's also a point, there isn't much traffic and you're really not going that fast in the videos. Is there really a NEED to go hot just to get to the station? In the two videos I don't think you broke a single major intersection and didn't have to move a single car. You could have gotten to the station in the same time without all the woo-woo's.

Siren changes, for me, are just needed at the intersections or getting the drivers head out of their ass if they don't move. The less I have to mess with the better.

Now I do believe in always giving feedback to help others because everything can be viewed differently. In the video 4/14 - Intersection A: Have you thought about a left approach, rather than going right for the right turn lane? The Mustang has no clue what to do...he's trying to pull to the right and stop.

Intersection B: A+ break

Thanks for the input. You have a completely valid point. The first video I probably shouldn't have ran them.

The second video was to a wreck with injuries and was in the middle of the day. I was expecting more traffic than there was so that's why I ran them in that one.

The last intersection I come to the the first 2 videos isn't a major highway but it does usually have a high volume of traffic crossing the railroad tracks so that's why I usually run them through that one. It's hard to even get the engines out sometimes.

I'll admit, I'm young. I've had permission to run them only for a few months. I need to work on deciding what I run them to or don't. Usually I try and judge based on what it is. I also try not to run them after 9-10 pm or so since there is little to no traffic my way at that time of night.

I try not to be that guy who runs the sirens for no reason at all.

As far as Intersection A goes that's an it complicated. We have a rule at the station that pretty much says don't go in the opposing lane unless there is no where else to go to get through. That goes for apparatus and It's not a written rule right now but one that has been repeated to us a few times.

As for B, thanks. I didn't mean to cut the siren off but I'm still getting used to the Smartsiren. I have an older version and the slightest touch will activate or deactivate a button.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
JDI is pleased to share with eLightbars their latest siren tone. With the gracious support of Firefighter Matt, enjoy this video. (The tone name is "Fudge Ripple".)

And before you complain - we like the background hum.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Man, I just realized how well that brings people to the curb!

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
As far as Intersection A goes that's an it complicated. We have a rule at the station that pretty much says don't go in the opposing lane unless there is no where else to go to get through. That goes for apparatus and It's not a written rule right now but one that has been repeated to us a few times.

As for B, thanks. I didn't mean to cut the siren off but I'm still getting used to the Smartsiren. I have an older version and the slightest touch will activate or deactivate a button.

No worries. I've learned a lot from this forum and every once in a while if I can give some solid input I will. Totally see the oncoming traffic thing. I know a few fire departments like that. I guess PD's just don't have those kind of rules.

Don't be afraid to burn the woo-woo's when you want. You have them for a reason and certain responses dictate that. Do what the other guys do. Just don't be that guy that touches off the siren at 3am in your neighborhood. You'll have some pretty angry neighbors. :)

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
No worries. I've learned a lot from this forum and every once in a while if I can give some solid input I will. Totally see the oncoming traffic thing. I know a few fire departments like that. I guess PD's just don't have those kind of rules.

Don't be afraid to burn the woo-woo's when you want. You have them for a reason and certain responses dictate that. Do what the other guys do. Just don't be that guy that touches off the siren at 3am in your neighborhood. You'll have some pretty angry neighbors. :)

Thanks. I try to be courteous when running them. I save the 3am sirens for the big trucks. Lol.

We had a response today that I didn't get to record cause my phone was dead. Had a wreck with injuries and entrapment on the interstate. I ran them and didn't see a single car. But I felt it was the type of call that traffic or not, lights and sirens were necessary.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
If you plan on recording all your runs, I'd suggest getting a dashcam. Actually, I'd suggest getting one even for daily driving. Most have a "auto on/auto off" record feature if you plug it into a ignition sensed cig plug.

I run a DOD LS460W - I've been using it for about 4 years now with 0 complaints. Amazing video both day and night. Actually.. I do have a single complaint- I wish I had a rear facing camera as well (more so after getting rear ended while parked last summer...)

Here are a few samples:

(sorry, cannot post response videos due to agency policy)

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
If you plan on recording all your runs, I'd suggest getting a dashcam. Actually, I'd suggest getting one even for daily driving. Most have a "auto on/auto off" record feature if you plug it into a ignition sensed cig plug.

I run a DOD LS460W - I've been using it for about 4 years now with 0 complaints. Amazing video both day and night. Actually.. I do have a single complaint- I wish I had a rear facing camera as well (more so after getting rear ended while parked last summer...)

Here are a few samples:

(sorry, cannot post response videos due to agency policy)

Thanks. That is actually my next step. I have been looking at some but really hadn't committed to one yet. I'll have to look into the one you have. Both videos look amazing.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Looking at your lighting setup I think some grill and intersection lighting would serve you well. Feniex T3s would be a good choice as they're cheap and bright. They also fit perfectly in those Jeep grill slats.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Looking at your lighting setup I think some grill and intersection lighting would serve you well. Feniex T3s would be a good choice as they're cheap and bright. They also fit perfectly in those Jeep grill slats.

I'm looking into getting some Feniex T3's or something from AWL. Just waiting on budget to get where I can.

Sunday I actually moved the mini bar up some towards the front of the Jeep and leveled the rotators out (they pointed towards the ground).

My next step when the budget gets to where I can, is most likely some intersection lights on a license plate bracket up front.

Reactions: acala91

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky

I just measured my grill slats. The are about a half inch too short for T3's. Unless I mount them vertically.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
All that noise and you still missed first due. :p:p:p

Lol. I can blame that one on several things. Full bladder, plus I was asleep when we got knocked out.

But in all reality everyone who was in the engine was already down there hanging out.

That’s a pretty cool response, where I’m from we can’t run lights or sirens because of how close I am to the station

Ah. Most of the time I don’t use them. I only live ~1 mile from the station.

But I ain’t gonna lie, I’m a whacker, and every now and then get those urges I wanna use them on serious calls so I’ve got them.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Hey guys. Been a while. Had a few more runs I recorded but here is one I did after i installed my new lights and my Feniex Typhoon handheld.

This was a response for a 10-46 rollover with entrapment.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.