POVs and the NFPA

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
So...POVs don't fall under the authority of the NFPA do they? In North Carolina POVs aren't classified as "emergency vehicles" so I figure I'm safe. But what about other states (South Carolina for example) where POVs are

"emergency vehcles"? The reason I ask is because I was reading a thread about an installer who was trying to figure out "park kill" to turn off all front-facing white lights; I would be irked if I had to figure out how to disable the white head on a R/W dash light.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
NFPA 1901 is 204 pages long. It applies to "new automotive fire apparatus ...that have 10,000 lb or greater gross vehicle weight rating ...or trailers designed to be towed by fire apparatus."

Unless you plan on meeting all the other requirements of 1901 including the requirement for a vehicle data recorder, backup alarm, EMI certification, SCBA storage, handrails, etc etc I don't think you need to worry about it. What you DO need to worry about is meeting your state's requirements for lighting.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
vonirkinshtine said:
The reason I ask is because I was reading a thread about an installer who was trying to figure out "park kill" to turn off all front-facing white lights.

2011 Ford Super Duty NFPA Related Info

Hello guys and gals.

I'm going to be installing a park-kill module on a new Ford F550 rescue truck on Saturday in order to kill the opticom and front facing white LEDs and be in compliance with NFPA. What I am looking for is a wiring diagram/breakdown of the wiring on the transmission gear select switch. Does anyone have a diagram or access to the schematics? If so please post or feel free to email me the info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Matt

P.S. Here is the truck if anyone is interested.

http://www.greenwoodev.com/images/DanversRescue_AV1.jpg

found here: http://www.elightbars.org/forums/showthread.php?8862-2011-Ford-Super-Duty-NFPA-Related-Info

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Yeah, that thread, lol.

I guess a 2011 Superduty would have a GVWR over 10,000lbs. So, it would need to comply.

stfd717

May 23, 2010
Topeka, KS
NFPA 1901 is a Standard (as stated above) which applies to any apparatus which is purpose built, specifically intended to be used by the fire service and has a GWWR of 10,000lb or greater (also stated). Unless your POV is that heavy and being used only by the FD for that purpose, then it will not qualify for the standard.

Taken from Chapter #1 of NFPA 1901, 2009 Ed.

1.1* Scope. This standard defines the requirements for new automotive fire apparatus and trailers deigned to be used under emergency conditions to transport personnel and equipment and to suppoort the suppression of fires and mitigation of other hazardous situations.

1.2 Purpose. This standard specifies the minimum requirements for new fire apparatus and trailers.

1.3 Application.

1.3.1* This standard shall apply to new fire apparatus that meet the following criteria:

(1) That have 10,000lb (4500 kg) or greater gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or are trailers intended to be towed by fire apparatus under emergency response conditions.

So 1.3.1 exempts POV's and department administrative/support vehicles (chief's vehicles) from needing to meet this standard. Wildland fire apparatus are covered under NFPA 1906, Standard for Wildland Fire Apparatus.

Hope this clears it up for you. :)

cory y

May 21, 2010
funny... its not followed by Dallas Fire Rescue. They pull bits a pieces from it but not the whole thing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.