Power Issues - User error

timmy

Sep 9, 2012
Southern California
This is just a heads up to anyone having power issues - in my case problems with a wigwag module on my new Aerodynic LAPD center takedown lights.

I bought the lightbar last week and it was demo'ed to me by the seller before i took delivery. Everything worked great for the demo. When i got it home i opened it up and cleaned it up, rewired it (LAPD had cut the wire bundle 1" from the bottom of the bar), and then tested each function. everything worked except the center takedown lights which i believe were a modification to the bar made by the LAPD technicians; normally there is a speaker in that location. Anyway, the wigwag was very, very fast and the lights didn't really come on full before going switching. it made a rapid "click, click, click, click,..." noise which matched the lights actions. i thought i had done something to the wiring and spent a couple of days trying everything i could to isolate the issue. i finally narrowed it down to the code 3, model 360hf module that does the wigwag function. i found two on ebay that were used and ordered them. i wasn't sure mine module was bad so i continued to troubleshoot until i found the real problem.

I have used a craftsman battery charger in the 50amp "start" mode on all of my other bars as a power source for my bench. i have never had an issue with that. that was the power source i used until i ran out of options during my troubleshooting. i finally decided to try one of the power supplies i use with my other lights on display (amazon, 12vdc 30amp, nice unit) instead of the battery charger. as soon as i switched to that other power source the problem went away. there was something about the 12vdc being provided by my battery charger to the wigwag module that it really didn't like.

So, two things.....

anybody want to buy a code 3 model 360hf wigwag module?

don't assume that all power supplies are equal. power supplies are black magic and the output may not be what you think it is.

hope that saves somebody some time during their troubleshooting.

timmy

IMG_1593 s.JPG

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
There is a pretty good guide here: http://elightbars.org/forums/f18/running-12v-dc-equipment-120v-ac-indoors-8023/

it starts with this info:

The following are the major options for running 12v equipment inside:

Car battery charger

Pros

Cheap

Easy to find

Plenty of amps

Never "drains"

Cons

Can damage sensitive LEDs, flashers and strobes

Limited options and features

12v inverter/supply

Pros

Safe to use on LEDs and strobes

More options and features

Never "drains"

Cons

Expensive

Hard to find high amp models (more expensive)

Car Battery/Battery boost pack

Pros

Cheap

Easy to find

Plenty of amps

Safe to use on LEDs, flashers and strobes

Cons

Dangerous to use and charge (gasses, battery only)

Will need recharged (limited time running)

No Features/Options

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.