PowerArc VOLT Light bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
Various pics of the VOLT light bar from Firehouse Expo.

Two different 49 inch models from the front.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p65_ka8ypy_Elightbars_DSC_2414.jpg

48 inch bar with FSC 8 LED Scene light

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p65_ka8ypy_Elightbars_DSC_2415.jpg

same 48 inch light bar with FSC scene light

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p65_ka8ypy_Elightbars_DSC_2418.jpg

Back of 48 inch light bar

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p65_ka8ypy_Elightbars_DSC_2417.jpg

Several different models...

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p65_ka8ypy_Elightbars_DSC_2423.jpg

Videos coming soon

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
I am really starting to like some of their stuff, its different, and I dont think it looks that bad, in fact its growing on me to where I like it now.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
It reminds me of FedSig's V bar line, in that the bar is composed of pods. Obviously, there are significant differences, too.

Warn1

May 24, 2010
Alabama/SE
I like the concept of the bar especially the scene light, but why are we going back to moving parts???? Thats one more possible mechanical failure. It just seems smarter to mimic the movements by programming flash rates, rather than adding motors and gears. Just my opinion! Do like the look of the bar its different! Kinda like to Tomar Heliobe when they came out. something new!

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
Warn1 said:
I like the concept of the bar especially the scene light, but why are we going back to moving parts???? Thats one more possible mechanical failure. It just seems smarter to mimic the movements by programming flash rates, rather than adding motors and gears. Just my opinion! Do like the look of the bar its different! Kinda like to Tomar Heliobe when they came out. something new!

How about a five year warranty on all of the parts that is good to the very last day and the replacement part (if there is one) comes with a 5 year warranty from the day it is shipped?

PowerArc has been in business since 1994 (started with halogen moving lights) and some of those lights are still in service today without issue.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Power arc isn't the only one (fed sig) with mechanically moving LEDs. The concept seems backwards too me too. Although I have to admit a part of me really thinks it's cool looking.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
That's an interesting but cheap look, as it appears the manufacturer's R&D department ran out of money to completely finish designing the bar. It needs some type of an outer dome to cover those modules, as it looks too homebrewed in that configuration. If the modules were closer together to give the appearance of being under a dome, it would look better IMO. That haphazard looking setup screams WHACKER. and I've seen better looking whacker setups using the cheesy LED clearance lights you see for sale at truck stops.

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
I'm not sure if I agree with the cheap look. Why bother adding additional components and weight with a dome. The individual heads are self contained and don't need any further protection from the elements. As for cleaning and snow removal, I would guess it's the same as the lightbars now, either a brush or a hose should be sufficient. If you want an enclosed bar, buy an enclosed bar. This is just a few more options for departments who want something different. I like the PowerArc designs and concept. There is a few departments around here with PowerArcs that haven't seen any service except a new lightbulb here and there.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
03crownvic said:
That's an interesting but cheap look, as it appears the manufacturer's R&D department ran out of money to completely finish designing the bar. It needs some type of an outer dome to cover those modules, as it looks too homebrewed in that configuration. If the modules were closer together to give the appearance of being under a dome, it would look better IMO. That haphazard looking setup screams WHACKER. and I've seen better looking whacker setups using the cheesy LED clearance lights you see for sale at truck stops.

And here's your dome...

http://www.powerarc.net/product_detail. ... 199&type=1

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
JohnMarcson said:
Power arc isn't the only one (fed sig) with mechanically moving LEDs. The concept seems backwards too me too. Although I have to admit a part of me really thinks it's cool looking.

Makes perfect sense to me, oscillating the led's allows you to use tighter beam optics (brighter) and still have off axis performance.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD

MATT3045

May 23, 2010
Akron Ohio area
SlickTop Solutions said:
I don't believe the bar has ever been on the website, at least nothing but the pics you pointed to.

Was the bar posted on here, well the old board, before? I know I had seen it before this thread. Since you are a dealer, how much for one like in the pictures I mentioned above?

Stendec

May 21, 2010
I never much liked the Vision/Vector style, and the Volt is insane expensive no matter the configuration, but it gives me that same funny feeling in my tummy that pretty girls do. Yeah, I'd over-extend my credit card for one. Even knowing full well that it will add drag to a car that would be like towing a dumpster. The obvious solution: a faster car to begin with.

Now PowerArc needs to do a full 360 coverage beacon that could battle the MSP LED. They have the partial coverage ones for firetrucks, it shouldn't be a huge leap to full coverage.

The Volt has that "Fifth Element / Blade Runner" thing going on.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Stendec said:
I never much liked the Vision/Vector style, and the Volt is insane expensive no matter the configuration, but it gives me that same funny feeling in my tummy that pretty girls do. Yeah, I'd over-extend my credit card for one. Even knowing full well that it will add drag to a car that would be like towing a dumpster. The obvious solution: a faster car to begin with.

Now PowerArc needs to do a full 360 coverage beacon that could battle the MSP LED. They have the partial coverage ones for firetrucks, it shouldn't be a huge leap to full coverage.

The Volt has that "Fifth Element / Blade Runner" thing going on.

+1 on all points, except I don't see how it could be less aerodynamic than a MX7000 or maybe Vector.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
There is a Power Arc dome enclosed version lightbar on eBay right now in auction 200516879671. The starting bid is $700 with a Buy-It-Now price of $1200. It is supposed to be fully populated, and it has clear outer domes but no color for the internals is given in the description. It is supposed to be the seller's personal bar and since he is from South Carolina, where blue is for law enforcement only, I would venture a guess it is either red or amber.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
nerdly_dood said:
+1 on all points, except I don't see how it could be less aerodynamic than a MX7000 or maybe Vector.

I haven't seen one in person, or I might be in prison right now for grand theft, but it essentially looks like each module is basically a a box, with bluff, vertical edges presented straight forward and to the sides. The bars you mention have some curvature or angles to them to ease airflow. I also don't know if the gaps between each lighthead might contribute to noise and turbulence, but it would be neat to see one on a Charger in a wind tunnel to see how it breaks the wind, so to speak, and measure the coefficient of drag with and without the bar.

This'll never be an issue on a firetruck or squad, which I think is the intended market for these anyway - they are already big boxes and not the paragons of streamlining, a couple little boxes are not going to mean much.

I'd definitely put one on a cop car though, if I was made of money.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
Whats up with the second bar up from the switch box? It has what looks to be covers over the 1st inboard lights in the first pic, not sure if they are scene lights or opticoms, but then later those black covers are gone.

J. Thompson

May 24, 2010
Gulf of Mexico
I'm pretty impressed with PowerArc products.

Saw a new engine on display a few months ago that had all PowerArc lighting, including a Volt lightbar and that thing was nice.

Personally, I bought a DL-12 to use as a dashlight and that thing just blows away anything else I had as far as intensity is concerned. I've since then ordered a second one and will be push bumper mounting them both. Makes it nice that these lights are waterproof and will mount both inside or out, depending on your needs.

Customer service with this company has been top notch also.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
03crownvic said:
There is a Power Arc dome enclosed version lightbar on eBay right now in auction 200516879671. The starting bid is $700 with a Buy-It-Now price of $1200. It is supposed to be fully populated, and it has clear outer domes but no color for the internals is given in the description. It is supposed to be the seller's personal bar and since he is from South Carolina, where blue is for law enforcement only, I would venture a guess it is either red or amber.

That is the XT Series, fully enclosed bar.

Link to info: http://www.powerarc.net/product_detail. ... 199&type=1

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
usdemt said:
Whats up with the second bar up from the switch box? It has what looks to be covers over the 1st inboard lights in the first pic, not sure if they are scene lights or opticoms, but then later those black covers are gone.

We put covers over the FSC scene lights, I believe those are the 13 LED versions and almost right at eye level with anyone that walked in the booth.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I don't think these look cheap or wackerish.... They look odd.... but profesional. I'm still not sold on moving parts on LEDs, but I have always appriciated power arc for thinking outside the box. I'd like to see more of this bar.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
JohnMarcson said:
I don't think these look cheap or wackerish.... They look odd.... but profesional. I'm still not sold on moving parts on LEDs, but I have always appriciated power arc for thinking outside the box. I'd like to see more of this bar.

If I have my demo bar by Thanksgiving I will get with you when I am back in Mansfield and show it to you.

MATT3045

May 23, 2010
Akron Ohio area
SlickTop Solutions said:
If I have my demo bar by Thanksgiving I will get with you when I am back in Mansfield and show it to you.

I would love to see it then also, and I am only 45 minutes north of Mansfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.