Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
i asked about it on facebook... no reponse as of yet

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Damn you, Greg! I came here thinking they had released it finally! :duh:

I won't ever be able to afford one, nor have a legit use for one.. But I want one!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
foxtrot5 said:
I know there's been scattered discussion here and there about this for a while, but has anyone heard anything else about it?

Because I really want one.

That will be interesting to hear once it's available. I think David F. does his own builds in-house there in VA, if I'm not mistaken.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
50theman said:
You may try emailing them, I haven't heard anymore about it or seen anything on facebook.

I sent an e-mail their way today. No results, yet. I'll keep you guys posted.

7d9_z28 said:
Damn you, Greg! I came here thinking they had released it finally! :duh:

I won't ever be able to afford one, nor have a legit use for one.. But I want one!

Sorry! And who needs a legit use for it, it's the ecto siren!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The Ecto and Power-Call warble tones are fine, but what they should also offer is a siren with low-pitched wail and yelp tones.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
While I think this is a fantastic idea, I'm wondering how well the Ecto tone would be received by the motoring public. Is it possible that emergency vehicles may encounter failure-to-yields resulting from the use of this tone? I certainly wouldn't use this in place of wail, yelp or hi-lo, but I definitely use this in place of piercer and other tones.

In Pennsylvania, emergency vehicles are required to use an "audible warning system" (exact language), with no further definitions nor specifications for siren tones. In California, siren tones are heavily regulated, to the point where not only specific tones are authorized, but the technical specifications for such tones are defined as well. Theoretically, there could be wails and yelps that do not comply with California Title 13.

Once this siren is ready to go, I'd love to hear this through the Rumbler or the Howler. That'd be better than getting slimed!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
i personally think it will get their attention because they won't know what it is. Then when they see the lights they will know what to do.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I'd buy one even at 55 watts

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
you could always go spend your time on ewivesspendingmymoney.org instead....

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
FEVER said:
you could always go spend your time on ewivesspendingmymoney.org instead....

Ok, ass... I really want the Taser and now you have to really rub it in.... I WILL get my Barrett Rec7!!! When she finishes her RN school.

Did they ever get this up and running?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
lol.....

Sounds like powercall hasnt got it going yet. Whoever gets it going will get some cash though :( i wish i knew how to do this.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Kevin K. said:
In Pennsylvania, emergency vehicles are required to use an "audible warning system" (exact language), with no further definitions nor specifications for siren tones. In California, siren tones are heavily regulated, to the point where not only specific tones are authorized, but the technical specifications for such tones are defined as well. Theoretically, there could be wails and yelps that do not comply with California Title 13.

There's no theoretically about it, some wail and yelp tones do not meet Title-13 specs. If you look in the product literature of Whelen (the only one I know of first hand) sirens, it typically indicated exactly which tones are CA13 compliant.

For everyone else, still no update on that e-mail I sent their way.

liberal noob

Jun 14, 2010
Berkley, MA
Columbia Pictures created and copyrighted the Ecto Siren tone and they have lawyers. Powerful, expensive lawyers that probably have a problem with De Fictionalizing it.

If they did get permission, I can guarantee you that Columbia wants a cut of the sales and other fees. Lets be honest, Powercall Sirens is a small company. Unless they can get Dan Aykroyd himself involved I don't see it happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
liberal noob said:
Columbia Pictures created and copyrighted the Ecto Siren tone and they have lawyers. Powerful, expensive lawyers that probably have a problem with De Fictionalizing it.

If they did get permission, I can guarantee you that Columbia wants a cut of the sales and other fees. Lets be honest, Powercall Sirens is a small company. Unless they can get Dan Aykroyd himself involved I don't see it happening.

thanks for providing links to the most useless parts of your post. I would imagine that Columbia Pictures would want some kind of cut, but I don't see a "big name" like Whelen or Fed Sig taking the time to do something like this. Powercall Sirens could probably easily work out a deal with Columbia on sales rights without putting anything upfront.

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
I have absolutly no use for a siren or want to put a siren on my car but that is just so awsome i'd get one :D

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
there was a member here (or maybe he still lurks) named MFaith.

He came to our first meet and greet. he lives in KY. ha had his ipod wired into his siren via mic jack and ran a looped version of the tone.

id have to get one for my ecto 1k(ia)..... or ectokia? eckiato 1?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
foxtrot5 said:
thanks for providing links to the most useless parts of your post. I would imagine that Columbia Pictures would want some kind of cut, but I don't see a "big name" like Whelen or Fed Sig taking the time to do something like this. Powercall Sirens could probably easily work out a deal with Columbia on sales rights without putting anything upfront.

David Firestein who owns Powercall Sirens is an astute businessman. I'm sure he's already considered all the legal ramifications in building an Ecto model. No telling what he went thru when he bought the rights to Powercall from G.E.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Skip Goulet said:
David Firestein who owns Powercall Sirens is an astute businessman. I'm sure he's already considered all the legal ramifications in building an Ecto model. No telling what he went thru when he bought the rights to Powercall from G.E.

I figured the owner(s) had a pretty good idea of what they were doing. I just hope they do it faster! Lol.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Any word on if this is really gonna happen we really want one for our squad it would be awesome if he added it as another tone on his powercall siren maybe instead if Hi lo or something

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Am I the only one who thinks the pace of it is a bit too slow?

Otherwise, this pic applies.

aownyourawesome.files.wordpress.com_2012_09_awesome_meter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I thought I could remember seeing a mechanical siren on the Ecto-1 vehicle in the Ghostbusters movie. It looked like a Federal C5G. The car was a 1959 Miller-Meteor combination coach.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Wailer said:
I thought I could remember seeing a mechanical siren on the Ecto-1 vehicle in the Ghostbusters movie. It looked like a Federal C5G. The car was a 1959 Miller-Meteor combination coach.

Correct but rather than use it the sound effect ppz I am guessing with the help of a computer nerd created their own sound and added it after the fact I believe.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:

You're right on both counts! The car was a '59 Caddy combination, which had a red beacon and single-faced blue lights on the roof. The C5G was added after the "Ghostbusters" reconstruction. That was also when the red PropelloRay light was added, along with the Code 3 XL bar.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Not gonna lie...this is definitely a cool blast from the past and the ghost buster movies, but I personally would never use it to respond to a call (I'm pretty simple...a standard Whelen/FedSig wail/yelp/hyper yelp, or a Q running simultaneous with a yelp or power call). I didn't get to see the full movie since my iPhone was taking forever to load, but I wonder how it's gonna obtain certification or compliance (i.e. SAE, NFPA, etc)? I doubt they'd invest all the time/money/effort into something that was just for $hits & giggles, but it just doesn't seem effective IMHO, and I bet a decent amt of ppl on the streets would be confused when they heard it (but that's just my take on it)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.