Powering a Federal Beacon Ray

111jag

Oct 25, 2021
Hamilton Ontario
I have a Beacon Ray 6volts DC 15-E model of signal light. I wanted to hook it up to a transformer behind my bar. What kind can I use? Can I use a 3-12v 1000mA radio shack transformer to power it? If not what should the mA be?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
If it has the correct bulb, the bulb is rated at 74 watts. The bulb alone is going to pull about 12.3 amps, then add another amp for the motor and you need a 6 VDC power supply that can provide a constant 13.3 amps minimum plus a few extra amps as motors tend to pull extra current as they start moving. 1000mA is only 1 amp, so trying to power that beacon with such a low amp transformer will burn out the transformer and may actually start a fire.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
My mistake, it's a 64 watt bulb, so you would need about 11.6 amps continuous power.

111jag

Oct 25, 2021
Hamilton Ontario
If it has the correct bulb, the bulb is rated at 74 watts. The bulb alone is going to pull about 12.3 amps, then add another amp for the motor and you need a 6 VDC power supply that can provide a constant 13.3 amps minimum plus a few extra amps as motors tend to pull extra current as they start moving. 1000mA is only 1 amp, so trying to power that beacon with such a low amp transformer will burn out the transformer and may actually start a fire.
It just has an 1157 car bulb in it. I tried hooking it up for a couple of seconds and it spun and lighted? But you are saying it will burn out if i ran it longer. I also dont want to get one of those big transformers. Whats the easiest way to get this to work. I want
My mistake, it's a 64 watt bulb, so you would need about 11.6 amps continuous power.
Its only a 1157 car bulb that I see?

That transformer is far too small. There is a thread on this very topic, here: https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/running-12v-dc-equipment-on-120v-ac-indoors.7483/
Its only 6 vdc with a small 1157 bulb. I guess the motor that spins it is very big? Thus the need for big amps?

111jag

Oct 25, 2021
Hamilton Ontario
1157 would be a double contact 12 Volt bulb with staggered pins. Never fit. Maybe another #? The correct 6 Volt bulb would be #1015
It was actually a 1156 bulb. It reads 12 volt. I got it from an old work truck. I was wondering how it was connected to the truck's battery, since I am assuming it would be 12 volts? Was also wondering what type of transformer I would need to have this light work at my bar?
1157 would be a double contact 12 Volt bulb with staggered pins. Never fit. Maybe another #? The correct 6 Volt bulb would be #1015
Actually it was an 1156 12 volt bulb. Which brings me to the question of how the 6 volt light was connected to a 12 volt truck?

111jag

Oct 25, 2021
Hamilton Ontario
I have a Beacon Ray 6volts DC 15-E model of signal light. I wanted to hook it up to a transformer behind my bar. What kind can I use? Can I use a 3-12v 1000mA radio shack transformer to power it? If not what should the mA be?
Would it be ok to use this 12 volt 5A battery that I had from a scooter I wasn't using? I will attach a switch and only turn it on for minutes at a time. I tried it and it worked. Just don't know if I'm doing damage? The bulb us an 1156. The lamp is a 6 volt.

Attachments

• IMG_20211025_212115.jpg
    IMG_20211025_212115.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 7

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The motor must be 6 Volt. On 12 Volts it will spin faster than normal, and will shorten the life of the motor.
1019 would be the proper 12 Volt bulb, 1015 for 6 Volt.
You should get a 120VAC to 6VDC converter or battery charger putting out the proper amperage to be safe.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
What do you mean by battery charger?
Automotive Battery Charger. Some have the option to switch between 6v/12v.

So just to be clear, DO NOT use a 12V power source to run your 6V beacon. It WILL kill the beacon.

111jag

Oct 25, 2021
Hamilton Ontario
Automotive Battery Charger. Some have the option to switch between 6v/12v.

So just to be clear, DO NOT use a 12V power source to run your 6V beacon. It WILL kill the beacon.
Is there not a smaller option? I want to put the beacon on the shelf of my bar, but don't want to have a charger which is twice the size of the beacon. Also, haven't been able to source a 6 volt transformer with the appropriate amperage for a reasonable price... Can you help?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Is there not a smaller option? I want to put the beacon on the shelf of my bar, but don't want to have a charger which is twice the size of the beacon. Also, haven't been able to source a 6 volt transformer with the appropriate amperage for a reasonable price... Can you help?
see this thread..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.