Problem w/ Whelen Univ. LED HAW

May 20, 2010
Hamilton, Ohio
So I was working a traffic detail last night and had my lights activated on my cruiser and noticed that one of my corner led hideaways would go from functioning properly, to going so dim it looked like the light was going to go out, and then back to working fine???? I sat out in my driveway today with a 6 pack and turned the lights on my cruiser on (my neighbors probably think im nuts) and in the time it took me to drink the 6 pack i observed no problems with the offending light. Has anyone ever ran into this issue before or have any idea what the problem is? I checked the power supply, cable, plug connections, and ground and everything appeared to be ok :?

Jasen

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
My guess would be maybe you have a lose wire somewhere and the bumping motion of your car driving knocked it loose. I had that problem with a stereo I installed and had to retighten the connection - of course I was an idiot and used wire nuts too.

Pursuit

May 23, 2010
Pulaski County, AR
That is interesting since the Universal LED hide-a-ways are pretty rugged. I would think that since it was just the single light head causing the problem, then that would exclude your primary power, or ground wires being at fault.

It could be the connection between the flasher, and the light head, but that too doesn't rule out other possibilities. Could it be a bad light head? Possibly moisture in a wire somewhere?

I am sure someone with expertise will chime in shortly! :)

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I had a simular problem with the Whelen M4's I have mounted next to my LP . I even took a vid with my phone to send to the installer. The next day the light started working normally and never had the problem again.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I once had a Whelen TIR6 Slimlighter that 3 diodes went out. I sent it back and they fixed it. Im sure they will fix or replace it if it happens again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.