Problem with FS Dual Viper

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
I have a Federal Signal Dual Viper S2 in all blue I've had laying around for a while. A month or two ago I decided to put a cig plug on it and install it in my truck. I TRIPLE checked the polarity on the cig plug to ensure that it was correct, then installed it properly with heat shrink butt connectors from Del City and shrink tubing and a heat gun, then made sure the fuse was 5 amp or less (can't remember for sure), then plugged it in, and nothing... So I checked the fuse and it was fine, so then I cut the cig plug back off and tested the light again with a 12v power supply, and nothing. The light was working fine with the power supply before I installed the cig plug.

I've installed many cig plugs and many lights and never experienced this before. Has anyone has any similar problems with Vipers? I've attached a few pics of the light. I got it second hand so I'm not sure how old it is as far as warranty. I took it apart and didn't see any loose wires, burn marks, etc.

20140329_202700.jpg

20140329_202711.jpg

May 10, 2012
New England
Is the lighter plug socket clean, properly aligned, and wired properly? Is that fuse intact?

Just for grins, reverse the polarity on the plug that you wired on. I've seen some Fords and Chevies with inexplicably-reversed wiring in the lighter plugs.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
NorthernPhoenix said:
Is the lighter plug socket clean, properly aligned, and wired properly? Is that fuse intact?

Just for grins, reverse the polarity on the plug that you wired on. I've seen some Fords and Chevies with inexplicably-reversed wiring in the lighter plugs.

That's not the problem. After I experienced some problems, I completely cut the cig plug back off and went back to using the alligator clips on the bare wires of black and red, and now there is nothing at all. even without the cig plug installed.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
welcome to the crappy fed sig vipers.

check for an internal fuse. if there isn't, see if it can warrantied. if not its trash

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
I dont even want to sound like a jack-ass, but is the pattern set to that stupid off pattern? maybe it is powering up and going right to that? Just throwing out suggestions if you exhausted all options

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Jarred J. said:
welcome to the crappy fed sig vipers.

check for an internal fuse. if there isn't, see if it can warrantied. if not its trash

I didn't see any internal fuses. I'll check again this weekend, then check on warranty info. If it can't be warrantied, I think I'm just selling it to someone who PMed me on here for parts. Thanks for the help.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Alboy29 said:
I dont even want to sound like a jack-ass, but is the pattern set to that stupid off pattern? maybe it is powering up and going right to that? Just throwing out suggestions if you exhausted all options

No, you don't at all. That's one of the first things I thought of. I tried tapping the pattern switch as well and holding it in for a different variety of times, all of which didn't work :( Thanks for the advice though.

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
Check the metal/plastic connectors where it meets the pc board. Those things are easy to break since Federal Signal doesn't design a strain relief mechanism into their power wires.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.