Programming dual color Defender bar

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Hey guys, I've got a 2018 Explorer PIU with, among other equipment, a dual color Defender bar. It has R/W and B/W to the front and sides, and R/A and B/A to the rear. It has dedicated takedowns and alleys that are not dual color. The car has a Z3 siren/control panel.

As I understand it, I could have either a basic Z3 siren, or a Z3 siren with Matrix integration. There is absolutely zero vehicle integration to the bar, the sides don't kill with doors, the rear patterns don't change with brakes, the takedowns don't change with high beams, etc. This leads me to believe it does not have Matrix, just a basic Z3. The lightbar is setup pretty poorly right now.

So, how do I go about changing lightbar configuration? I have the appropriate PDF's, but is the lightbar configuration/patterns done via Z3 software, or is it done via changing wires like the old school bars? I know the Z3 software configures what the control panel does, but does it also configure the bar?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
If the siren has been in the car since 2018 it definitely isn’t a Matrix, just a standard Z3. When you look at the Z3 input/outputs, there will be a small port labeled “lightbar”. Is there a cable in it?

JakeNShake121

Jun 12, 2014
NJ
What is stated above. I believe the defender is old enough where it was not designed to be changed via a computer program. It doesn't state anything in the manuals about pattern wires?

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I believe you guys are both correct. But to be frank, I probably won't spend much time looking into it, as I got assigned a new car. If I can find the siren box easy enough maybe. The manuals say a lot about patterns/wires, but I wasn't sure if this one would be changed via wiring or computer. But you guys are more than likely correct, it'll be wiring (Which I don't want to mess with too much).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.