Proper Wire Routing Methods

alexjusti

May 28, 2021
Dalzell, IL
I'm looking to run wire from the firewall to my back seat on a 2020 Silverado. How does everyone generally run wire through the cab? I'm thinking of just running split loom under the carpet but I'm not sure if that's necessarily "correct".

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
If it's only a couple lines use the door floor plate sills as suggested above. They pop right off and have tracks in them for such things. You can get up to 3-4 runs of 16 gauge down each side.

dasher

Sep 12, 2010
USA/Pa.
I'm looking to run wire from the firewall to my back seat on a 2020 Silverado. How does everyone generally run wire through the cab? I'm thinking of just running split loom under the carpet but I'm not sure if that's necessarily "correct".
I use to run them under the door strips

alexjusti

May 28, 2021
Dalzell, IL
I have a few things I can run under the door sills but I have a large bundle of approximately 10 wires that needs to run from front to back. I don't think they'll fit very well. Any ideas?

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I had a similar issue, a large bundle of wires from the front needed to get to the back wall of my crew cab. So I ran the bundle, protected with wire loom, from the front of the engine compartment, following one of the factory wire bundles, down through the engine compartment and down the frame rail where it met up with the storage compartment under my back seat. On the rear vertical wall of the storage compartment I drilled a hole and ran the wire loomed bundle through that hole. I used grommets on the hole in the metal and actually doubled up that section of wire loom for added security.
that hole I drilled was next to the rear seat bracket, and then ran the wire loom to the rear wall behind the seat. It’s all protected and out of the way. Safe and secure.

Reactions: alexjusti

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
Another option is the headliner. Pull off the door weatherstripping and you should be able to pull down the edge of the headliner. Many times there is a large amount of room there on the edge of the headliner where it meets the gasket without having to remove anything else. I just did work on a older (2011) Tahoe where we ran a 3/4" bundle of coax and an ethernet cable up the A pillar, over the doors, and down the C pillar to the floor into the electronics area and all we had to pull off was the gaskets and the A pillar trim.

Reactions: alexjusti

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
If you go the headliner route be careful of the side curtain airbags along the top rail of the door frame.
With that much of a bundle you might look at pulling carpet and running it down the tranny tunnel, or split the bundle and run down both door sill plates.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.