Pros/Cons between ballast and passive whelen dual talons

nybucketman

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Would I be foolish to swap two like new passive blue/blue dual talons for two like new ballast red/clear dual talons? I'm not sure the negatives or differences between the passive and ballast other than the passive are the newer version and that the ballast make noise while on. Please enlighten me. Chris

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Ballast

- give out a little bit of RF interference, blocks cell phone comm.

- cannot be combined with passive (synched)

- emit a little noise

-older technology (original)

Passive

-can be synched

-do not require a ballast between the lighthead and the power source (in the case of talons, the ballast is built in, but for ballast lightheads you need the ballast or they don't work.

basically the way the ballast works is that it steps up the voltage from 12v to 18v, which is what the ballast requiring lightheads are built to function on. therefore a standard 12v connection is just not enough power for the ballast lighthead if it is missing the ballast component.

hpd can add what ever i missed

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
secrets secrets. All is true what was posted but yet to this day i have yet to experience the cell phone or radio interference with the lights. I just like passive cause its newer technology.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.