Public Safety light for USCG Aux vessels

CPSS

Aug 1, 2013
Clifton Park, NY
Our Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla is in need of patrol lights, we used to purchase them from our District Aux store and they were Federal Model 14 ( or the newest variant of that). The regulation says it must flash an alternating amber and red light. This Federal light had a clear dome and red and amber bulbs. The problem is that its not made anymore and our Aux Store does not have a new supplier. Any idea where we can get something complete, ( no swapping of bulbs or domes), in quantity. Public Safety Light.jpg It doesn't have to be a revolving beacon, but it needs to alternate red and amber, and be visible 360 degrees.

I am posting this here because the Vintage and collectible guys would probably be more aware of this type. Our AUX Store doesn't want to have to assemble them, they just want something they can stock and ship complete.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Is a dual-color LED beacon suitable for your application? Something like the Sho-Me 12.7243AR would work right out of the box.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Personally I find LED lights to be not so good as you might think. They are short range, that is, they look very bright in close range but not in long rang, they are three times more expensive and they do not last long.
The electronics seems to be very sensitive and the LEDs can not be replaced if broken.
I will suggest ”old school” with as you are used to and use sealed beam revolving lights.
You have North American Signal model 250 and Tri-Lite RV-6.
Both can be bought with clear lens and be ordered with red and amber sealed beams.

http://catalog.nasig.com/viewitems/revolving-warning-lights/revolving-lights-series-250-300

http://www.triliteinc.com/product/rotating-beacon-light-dc-red-blue-green-orange~75/

Michael

Reactions: FCV96

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Reactions: FCV96

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I will agree with cmb56 on the rotators he suggested as being good options.
I will also strongly disagree with his thoughts on LED beacons. The standard dual height Whelen L31 is an extremely bright, especially at long range. I have made many comparisons comparing the L31 to many sealed beam and the brightest open reflector beacons, and the L31 always comes out on top. The best flash patterns are 75 Signalalert, and 75 single flash patterns. It is also extremely heavy duty, high quality, and trouble free. Whelen puts a 5 year warranty on the Light, and stands by it.
The split Dual color L31 flashes top and bottom alternately, which is what I believe will suit your needs, and well worth the cost of the beacon. The size, weight, and mounting options of this beacon are also advantageous. I'd try one unit, and make your decision from there.
Just my observations and opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPSS and kitn1mcc

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
One big advantage of a rotating beacon becomes apparent in fog, especially at night. It makes it MUCH easier to localize the vessel as opposed to a flashing point source such as an LED beacon. Watching an airport rotating beacon in fog will demonstrate this easily. In clear air a good LED beacon is hard to beat, although I believe the alternating flash L31 becomes in effect an L32 in intensity since only one level is lit at a time, therefore the intensity is diminished. The L32 in red is only Class 2 intensity. I'd suggest buying one unit of the 2-color L31 and comparing it to your current rotating beacons. If you buy new rotators I'd also suggest using only 4416 sealed beams instead of 7400 or 7600 bulbs, because the beam pattern is more of a vertically oriented "blade" which will give better coverage in a rocking or planing boat where the beacon may not be perfectly horizontal.

Reactions: CPSS and dmathieu

CPSS

Aug 1, 2013
Clifton Park, NY
One big advantage of a rotating beacon becomes apparent in fog, especially at night. It makes it MUCH easier to localize the vessel as opposed to a flashing point source such as an LED beacon. Watching an airport rotating beacon in fog will demonstrate this easily. In clear air a good LED beacon is hard to beat, although I believe the alternating flash L31 becomes in effect an L32 in intensity since only one level is lit at a time, therefore the intensity is diminished. The L32 in red is only Class 2 intensity. I'd suggest buying one unit of the 2-color L31 and comparing it to your current rotating beacons. If you buy new rotators I'd also suggest using only 4416 sealed beams instead of 7400 or 7600 bulbs, because the beam pattern is more of a vertically oriented "blade" which will give better coverage in a rocking or planing boat where the beacon may not be perfectly horizontal.

I agree, I have the Federal rotating beacon and it is very visible in fog and bad weather.

CPSS

Aug 1, 2013
Clifton Park, NY
Thanks for all the quick responses. The problem with all the rotators is that no one sells the clear dome with red and amber bulbs. I realize they could be retrofitted, however the supply store wants to stock something they can buy from a manufacturer ready to go.

The Whelen is a nice LED beacon but its almost $500 in the dual color option!

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Talk with both North American Signal and Tri-Lite about delivering their lights with the configuration as you want it to be.
I do not think that there will be to much problem to have the light you chose to be fitted with red and amber sealed beams with clear lens on order.
North American Signal has previous made some non stock items for me.
My experience is that they are very helpful.
Their lights uses the 4416 as NPS Ranger mentioned.
Tri-Lite is also very helpful too.

Michael

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.