Push Bumper vs. Grill Louvers/Grill Shutters (Ford Explorer)

paro22

Jul 12, 2010
USA NY
Are there any Push Bumpers/Push Bars that will work with the 2017 Ford Explorer (civilian version; not the Police Utility)

The standard engines on the XLT& Base versions have Active Grill Shutters/grill louvers - are there any mainstream manufactures whose Push Bars will work with that feature?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
the CV didn't have active shutters. I'm trying go rhino on a build for the first time this week versus my go industries builds... I can see if they would interfere

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
the CV didn't have active shutters. I'm trying go rhino on a build for the first time this week versus my go industries builds... I can see if they would interfere

Do I even want to know what the heck an Active Shutter is for on a Explorer??? How Else can they mess up these vehicles, first they down size after eliminating the CV, then `Downsize the Explorer eliminating legroom, hip room, rear Storage Space.... UGH Whats Next no more V8'S???

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Ford doesn't have any V8 interceptors...except the F150

Justin_explorer

Jul 13, 2018
Louisville, KY
I was unable to install the Westin Elite with the active shutter system. It starts at the very top of the top grill, wraps around the front bumper all the way through the bottom grill.

I did, however remove like 5 bolts and unplug/remove the active shutters. No CEL although I am sure there is a fault in the background.

The front park assist sensors are blocked as well, but this can be turned off.

If you have adaptive cruise control it would probably be blocked as well... I do not.

Justin_explorer

Jul 13, 2018
Louisville, KY
I was able to use forscan and elm327 to disable just the front parking sensors (which beep nonstop when first going into forward gear).

Here’s the master list I used, specifically the 736-3-1

https://www.ford-forum.de/attachments/forscan-2015-2018-f150s-pdf.106145/

LED lightbar:
Rigidhorse 3 Row 22 inch Dual-Color Yellow & White light Cree Chips LED Spot Flood light combo driving Light, for jeep/truck/Pickup/ATV/SUV/Boat, 2 Years Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPP21TT/?tag=elightbars-20

Attachments

• 7C51884C-A31C-4276-91FA-24315975C776.jpeg
    7C51884C-A31C-4276-91FA-24315975C776.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 37
  • E6090B02-9B59-4A51-936E-CAC44372C6E9.jpeg
    E6090B02-9B59-4A51-936E-CAC44372C6E9.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 36

Fred Miller

Feb 22, 2021
NY, USA
I was able to use forscan and elm327 to disable just the front parking sensors (which beep nonstop when first going into forward gear).

Here’s the master list I used, specifically the 736-3-1

https://www.ford-forum.de/attachments/forscan-2015-2018-f150s-pdf.106145/

LED lightbar:
Rigidhorse 3 Row 22 inch Dual-Color Yellow & White light Cree Chips LED Spot Flood light combo driving Light, for jeep/truck/Pickup/ATV/SUV/Boat, 2 Years Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPP21TT/?tag=elightbars-20
Okay. First, this post is absolute garbage with no useful information. You cannot simply disable the shutter code, open the shutter, and install a grill guard. The shutter needs to be removed or the shutter frame interferes with the installation. There are no manufacturers of grill guards which make a guard for a Ford Explorer which uses an active shutter because they simply can't. At the same time though, all of them actually do. It just takes a couple of extra steps, that's all.

For some stupid reason, if you have a 3.5 with the EcoBoost (turbo) you won't have the shutter. If you have just the 3.5 you will.

Theoretically, the shutter does three things. It looks and operates just like a window blind in your house. When the engine is cold, like during the winter, it stays closed so the compartment warms up faster . It closes when cruising down the highway to improve mileage and aerodynamics , and opens to allow more airflow into the compartment for cooling when under load. There is no way the shutter does these things. It would defy physics and simple logic to believe it does. There is no way the shutter has any positive or useful effect on the vehicle other than being a money grab. It a $400 piece of flimsy, bendy, cheaply made plastic crap.

I just put a Setina grill guard on an extremely low mile 2018 XLT I bought last fall (2020) and this is what we did.

First, I didn't have to disable any front parking sensor or adaptive cruise control because I don't have them. They can be disabled using ForScan, though.

The sensor code for the active shutter cannot be disabled. We had the ForScan with the advanced license which offers more access and options, and Ford has the code completely hidden. It doesn't really matter.

We had to remove the front clip of the car to get at the shutter and to install the hardware for the guard. We then unplugged the shutter motor, and removed the shutter. The motor is this hamster sized electric motor that simply turns a gear which opens and closes the shutter. It is another cheaply made overpriced chunk of junk.

We removed the motor from the shutter and zip tied it behind the bumper and out of the way after plugging it back in.

We then installed the grill supports and everything else for the guard before replacing the front clip and installing the unit.

And just like that it was over. As long as the shutter motor is plugged in, the computer doesn't see a problem, and no code is thrown. There is no problem with engine temperature or anything like that. The mileage hasn't suffered, nor does the car warm up on a cold winter day any slower.

When I get the lights installed on the guard this week I'll post a photo.

You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rohmers

Fred Miller

Feb 22, 2021
NY, USA
Okay, here are a couple of photos of the grille guard installed. Came out pretty good, I think.

Attachments

• 20210302_084746.jpg
    20210302_084746.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210302_084719.jpg
    20210302_084719.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 37

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
I just remove the shutters that are in the way and throw them away. They are an add on for different packaged vehicles. Removing the shutters from the frame throws no codes, doesnt affect engine performance, and in general causes no harm

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
I just remove the shutters that are in the way and throw them away. They are an add on for different packaged vehicles. Removing the shutters from the frame throws no codes, doesnt affect engine performance, and in general causes no harm
Removing them does throw codes but does not illuminate the MIL. You can only see them if you read them from the OBDII so no big deal.

All they really do is help the engine heat up faster. That's really all. Just an extra point of potential failure. When they fail, I just take them out.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
The base and police versions of vehicles do not even have them. I have never seen any codes on my wife's Explorer through my scan tool. Either way just a useless add on that costs $$$ when they break.

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
The base and police versions of vehicles do not even have them. I have never seen any codes on my wife's Explorer through my scan tool. Either way just a useless add on that costs $$$ when dd
Ford can see the codes...or use Forscan.

Again, it's no big deal at all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.