• Like them but we don't have them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't like them and glad we don't have them

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
After looking at pics on here and flicker, it seems push bumpers are more of a southern and western thing, with most the north and mid west police dept's (except for Texas) forgoing them. What is you guy's opinions on them and why do some dept's not like them?

My dept has a strict 'no contact' chase policy, but we have the PB's in case someone rams us or a deer runs in front of the car (happens a lot). Plus, I think they make a cop car look more intimidating.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Our city department is installing pushbars on all patrol vehicles. When I asked the head of our radio shop/equipment services why this policy was being put in place, I was told it would dramatically cut down on vehicle damage in the case of a front end collision. Whether that proves to be true or not, I guess we'll see... But from now on, any street patrol car is getting them.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
It would in slower speed collisions... But anything over 35MPH will probably end up the same, if not more damage... LoL

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I've driven both with and without them, I do prefer them, though my new PD Tahoe doesn't have them! They are great for siren speakers and lights, and come in handy when broken down or stuck motorists need some pushin'!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Couple of examples for the use of pushbars:

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
My previous Durango had 'em, with LEDs and Strobes mounted on it. Looked good and worked nice during contact with a pursued vehicle.

My current Explorer doesn't have a PB. I wish it did, although I'd still be leery of "nudging" anyone with it.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
When I had my Ford Ranger (1998) with a pushbar it came in handy. Prolly got 20+ cars/vehicles out of traffic or tight spots. I miss that truck. Sold it 2 years with 278,457 miles on it for $400.

Most PD I know around here do not have nor use them. They prefer to call someones to do it.I see more pushbars on FD Chiefs vehicle than anything.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
More nd more PDs by me seem to be getting them.

One of my Depts CVs has one, the 2 others dont due to budget cuts. All of the patrol cars and marked units in the town I live in have them, and they have saved the front end quite a few times in MVAs. NJ is a no contact pursuit policy, so most of the time they are just for mere use of MVA, pushing disabled MVs off road, car vs deer, or for mounting of lights/speakers.

I like them, my POV has one on it (well a brush guard). It has saved my truck a few times in little tiny fender benders, and has saved me from getting a new grill/headlights when a tire from a semi blew in front of me and hit my truck, ended up just hitting the brush guard and bouncing off. I think all PD/FD vehicles should have them, as I also just like the look. lol. but really i do a a real good utility in them

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
WS224 said:
There nice if you like them.

I'm guessing you don't? Just out of curiosity, why not? Is it the looks? I knew a guy in my acad who didn't like them because his dept didn't put them on their cars, and he said it added 'too much to the front end of the car that you can't see when driving'.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.