Q: Wrangler speaker install suggestions?

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Has anyone installed a "concealment" aka low-profile siren speaker in a Jeep Wrangler (JK-model yr 2007-2018)? Typical about 3" deep, maybe 6-7" on a side?

I was hoping to go behind radiators but the engine compartment looks tight, at least when seen from above. About the best I've come up with so far is inside the bumper, directly between the fog light housings. It's got the depth, not sure about the height. I'm concerned about how much the sound will penetrate the plastic bumper & license plate vs being deadened. But it may be the best option.

Would appreciate any thoughts. I might be able to come up with more ideas if I get under there on a creeper but I was hoping someone with experience had done one "right" and had a good solution I could use. Got a feeling if I go underneath it's going to wind up pointed down, which can't be much better than pointed forward inside the bumper.

Thanks for any input....be safe all.

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
I've installed an whelen sa315p on a few wranglers. They fit right behind the grill on the supporting bracket.IMG_20191105_191645_357.jpg
For those who dont want it there you can also install it on the left or right side by the radiator support, where I have it circled20191105_192602.jpg

Reactions: pzurich

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Thanks FusionWolf. I did a bad job with my question by omitting the fact that everything on my vehicle is more-or-less "undercover", and would like to keep it that way. So, the siren I was hoping to be not too readily visible. I understand that may impact the sound performance. The first sample you sent would be perfect otherwise. The second pic I like a lot, I would love to see a closeup, you have an upgraded bumper whereas mine is stock and I think is a lot bigger and more in the way. But maybe I can still use the mounting position as a better alternative to right in the middle of the bumper behind the license plate. I'm out to the garage to see if I can find the radiator supports you mentioned. I'm 0% gearhead but I can usually figure something out. Just need some pushes in the right direction on this one since I've never had siren status before. And the acoustics game is magic to me, I don't know if I can fudge it a little and still get good results or what. Report back soon. Thanks again partner.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Here's an area I found on the driver side behind the bumper. Looks like a speaker might possibly fit if bracket was mounted on 2 of these 3 holes. Well, the upper part is behind metal bumper I think and the lower part is behind the plastic spoiler or gravel grabber or whatever you want to call it.*G* Thoughts?

20191105_221044.jpg

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
Here's an area I found on the driver side behind the bumper. Looks like a speaker might possibly fit if bracket was mounted on 2 of these 3 holes. Well, the upper part is behind metal bumper I think and the lower part is behind the plastic spoiler or gravel grabber or whatever you want to call it.*G* Thoughts?

View attachment 221038
So this was the second option that I had circled. It works well on either side of the bracket. I personally mounted it in the inside of that. But that spot works very well.
Plastic bumpers definitely block some sound but not as much as you would think.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
So this was the second option that I had circled. It works well on either side of the bracket. I personally mounted it in the inside of that. But that spot works very well.
Plastic bumpers definitely block some sound but not as much as you would think.

OK wow we are sort of on the same page, thank you! When you say "inside of the bracket" do you mean there are matching holes on the other side of that piece of metal, so the speaker would be mounted still facing forwards, but on more of an inward location? I'll have to take a look but if that's what you meant could you confirm? And then just looks like the only complexity is reaching up inside with a wrench, to hold on to nut as I thread the bolt through? May have to remove the gravel grabber to do that, not sure. Am I getting close? This will be at the edge of my skills but I think I can get it done. I have no problems with electrical work, drilling a mounting hole fr switches, fishing battery power into the cabin, etc. It's mounting stuff out there in the wilderness, and getting the wires there safely, where I am out on a limb. Like I found a lot of other great places if it weren't for the fact that the tire sometimes changes angle and would probably tear the speaker off the first time I turned. At least I steered clear of that. Pun really not intended.

Look forward to any further feedback and post again as soon as I get a chance to get out there and look. Probably the weekend, I got killed with work at a meeting tonight. Thanks again bro.

Reactions: FusionWolf

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
OK wow we are sort of on the same page, thank you! When you say "inside of the bracket" do you mean there are matching holes on the other side of that piece of metal, so the speaker would be mounted still facing forwards, but on more of an inward location? I'll have to take a look but if that's what you meant could you confirm? And then just looks like the only complexity is reaching up inside with a wrench, to hold on to nut as I thread the bolt through? May have to remove the gravel grabber to do that, not sure. Am I getting close? This will be at the edge of my skills but I think I can get it done. I have no problems with electrical work, drilling a mounting hole fr switches, fishing battery power into the cabin, etc. It's mounting stuff out there in the wilderness, and getting the wires there safely, where I am out on a limb. Like I found a lot of other great places if it weren't for the fact that the tire sometimes changes angle and would probably tear the speaker off the first time I turned. At least I steered clear of that. Pun really not intended.

Look forward to any further feedback and post again as soon as I get a chance to get out there and look. Probably the weekend, I got killed with work at a meeting tonight. Thanks again bro.
Sorry for the late reply. If my memory serves me correct there are matching holes on the other side. It is an egregious PITA to mount there but it is doable.. just takes some patience and its doable. This was a while ago that I did this so I hope my memory is correct but I know I mounted a federal signal speaker on the inside of those three holes
To tell you right off the bat the easiest way to do this is to remove the bumper and mount the speaker that way otherwise you will not have the ability to get in there. I did this on a 2008 Wrangler and the tires did not make contact on either side of that bracket. It was originally mounted on the outside where are you had circled but when the client moved to an aftermarket bumper the speaker really hung down low and was very exposed so we moved it to the inner area of that bracket.IMG_20191109_141706_346.jpg

Last edited:

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Yes. Thank you so much for the picture and your alarming description "egregious PITA" and mention that bumper removal would be necessary, that is exactly what I was wondering about. I will have to take another look to make a final decision, it seems nicer to have it mounted in the central location, but not enough for me to take off bumper -- doing it on the outside of that bracket will be egregious PITA enough for this guy!
May your PITA's be made unegregious to the 7th generation and may all traffic yield to you.
Thank you again for the support brother FW and be safe.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.