Q1 Demonstration Stand

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I had an old Q1 from my FD restored a while ago and I'd like to set it up so that I can demo it. I want to put it on some kind of box with a solenoid in the box with switches for the solenoid and brake. I'm thinking about using two of the post connectors from Waytek that are used for going through firewalls; they would be the two points on the outside of the box used to connect to my power source.

Here's what I mean: http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/36663/BATTERY%20FEEDER%20STUD%20BLACK/

Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of box I should use? I could make it out of wood but it's not practical for mounting the battery lugs and switches due to the thickness needed.

Also, what rating should I get for the solenoid? Continuous or intermittent?

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
How about something like this:

35" Steel Trailer Tongue Box

If you could find a used one, it should be in the $30 range, I'd think.

You might also find a military surplus medical chest that would work.

911caddy

Mar 28, 2011
Canada BC
B&M siren has a beautiful diamond checker plate "low profile" (6inch high) box made with all the switches and solenoid needed for their Super Chief siren display. Ya do not want your box too tall as you'll be top heavy with the Q1 way up there. Unless your "box" is heavy. Ya don't want the box and siren to tip over when ya put the juice to your Q1..

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
911caddy said:
B&M siren has a beautiful diamond checker plate "low profile" (6inch high) box made with all the switches and solenoid needed for their Super Chief siren display. Ya do not want your box too tall as you'll be top heavy with the Q1 way up there. Unless your "box" is heavy. Ya don't want the box and siren to tip over when ya put the juice to your Q1..

911Caddy has it right; and he knows B&M as well as I do. Go to B&M Siren Mfg, home of Super-Chief and Siro-Drift Sirens . That's Kevin O'Connell's website. You can see the three units that B&M still builds, along with some pix of how Kevin mounts his demo Super Chief on diamond plate. There's a phone contact for B&M on the website. If Kevin isnt available, his ass't, Brian can help you. Either can tell you which switches and solenoids to use, as there are specifics that Kevin recommends. Haven't seen a Q1 in a very long time. You need to hang on to that one!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.