Quad Light Lightbar Wiring Question

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Hey, I had an Idea with a couple of Dummy lightbar modules and would like to know what the wiring is for it. There is a total of 6 wires. Just not sure if these are positive switched or Negative switched. If anyone knows what wires do what, that would be great. Thanks

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I tore apart a six-head quad bar the other day and re-wired it to be the QUAD spoiler mount unit on a 2021 PIU.

From my testing when I had it apart, they are steady burn lightheads. R/BK are power/ground, and the other 4 wires are one for each color (but not by color, obviously).

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Thats weird. I wonder why they went with a Constant ground and power and then another power wire to activate the LEDs?

I will have to give that a shot. Thanks for the info. What did you wire up to your lights?

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Yeah I found it odd as well. I cut the bar apart, extended the wires, hooked up a single lighthead to make sure it worked, and I was getting nothing. Turns out whatever wire was for "red" wasn't crimped properly. When I finally tried mode 2 (R/A) suddenly I was getting amber flash, and then red wasn't, so that's how I figured out that the red/black are constant.

I have it all wired through a QUAD controller then into a Whelen HHS-3207 with the 21 and slide.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Ahh ok. I was thinking about using the lightheads to connect to the Cencom Carbide and using the internal flashers for it. Was gonna do an interior mod and make something happen with it. So this will be some tinkering for sure

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Ah yeah, I'm not really familiar with how the Carbides work. I'm assuming everything is still connected to some type of lightbar controller on the Whelen side, you'd probably need to figure out how that drives the heads.

I only did it because I (wrongly) assumed the QUAD spoiler mount would work with the converter and let me do things like TA and all that. So I was a bit disappointed when I got it and it didn't. That's my fault for not reading though. Lol. Either way, it works and looks great now, and I have a better understanding of the QUAD stuff now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.