Quad Visor Interior Lightbar: from Advanced Warning Lights

alxjmrk

May 25, 2010
NC, USA
This is a review of the Quad Visor Interior Lightbar sold by Tom at Advanced Warning Lights

I believe they were someone else's stock and Tom sold them all out.

I received the package after just a few days and it arrived undamaged, sent by USPS.

Overall I am very happy about the performance of the light. There will be a lot of modifying needed to make sure it fits in any way other than just sitting on the deck upside-down.

For the price, I consider myself a happy customer. :)

The following pictures were taken upon opening the package for the first time. More to come after a quick install later tonight.

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_ee083db7.jpg

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_ee257082.jpg

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_31fa7e40.jpg

Styrofoam melted to a large area of the cable. Will probably come off with Goo-Gone or isopropyl alcohol

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_102dd252.jpg

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_936edc64.jpg

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_1b289e93.jpg

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_7ba0aa4b.jpg

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_2e5b5a8b.jpg

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_43a92ebd.jpg

Most of the suction cups are a little warped, I will see how well they work later. But they sent extras!

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_53355584.jpg

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_a17393ac.jpg

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_363020c8.jpg

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_a422fa7c.jpg

Installed under headliner. Turns out my window just doesn't fit these. Not worried about that.

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_3ed4c49f.jpg

Suction cups not sticking.

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_2be3fdb9.jpg

Here is one possibility for mounting it to the deck.

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_3da5714a.jpg

Here's how I'm going to mount mine.

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_b85f1fc8.jpg

Rear warning on the flash pattern I like. Window was fogged too.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/dj_acoustica/2afdf7aa.mp4

Day:

a0c3fec2.mp4 video by dj_acoustica - Photobucket

Off-axis

Night:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/dj_acoustica/dafebbd4.mp4

Day:

46328e3d.mp4 video by dj_acoustica - Photobucket

Flash back. Almost none!

Night:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/dj_acoustica/7c2d88dc.mp4

Day:

d7fc9c66.mp4 video by dj_acoustica - Photobucket

New nighttime video from 100yds

(also have strobes on, so hopefully you can see some of how well these light up at a distance)

[Broken External Image]:http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/dj_acoustica/b237a071.mp4

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
The styrofoam on the wires seems to happen to most of the bars, however should in no way affect the performance of the light.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I bought the green QVIL from Tom, and finally got it installed to my liking. So here are some comments in no particular order.

First, the item arrived the same as the previous posts mentioned with some of the styrofoam bonded to the power wires. It appears to come right off with a gentle scrape of a thumb nail. Other than that, in fine shape and tested 100% still in the box.

The large stamped aluminum mounting brackets are really decent and lend themselves to easy modification for installs in a wide variety of vehicles and locations in them.

The power cord was long enough to tuck up behind the headliner by the rearview mirror and route it down the driver's side A pillar, under the dash to the ashtray near the center of the truck. Two comments here. The cigarette lighter switch/plug is fine, but it is kind of large to get it through some of the openings here and there under and around the dash. A small 2 wire plug and socket at the light bar end would be great so that the thing could be detached, run as needed, and then reconnected. I did not want to cut and splice it just yet although that would not be much of an issue. Secondly, I would have like the power cord to be a bit longer by at least a couple of feet. Obviously not a major issue, and for the purchase price, even less of an issue.

Performance is better than expected. I know this bar retails around $300 so it probably won't match up with the best Whelen or SVP interior bars, but for the money, even full retail, it seems to be a good compromise. It is plenty bright as evidenced by this video which I shot from about 150 feet away from the vehicle at mid-day with overcast but bright weather.

Overall, I am pleased with the lightbar and I think it is a good choice for someone on a tight budget (like me!)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.