Question about a siren...

Wheels

May 23, 2010
El Paso, Texas
I just recently purchased a FS PA150 siren in really great shape. After reading info about this siren, it says that it’s very similar to a PA200 except that is has a wired-in mic and PA/manual settings. So I went to the FS website and it also states the PA150 has a wired-in mic mounted underneath the siren box. Here’s the thing….my PA150 doesn’t have a wired-in mic. On the back of the unit, it has a connection to add a mic. My question is….do I have a rare siren because of this? Or was this a feature added just before they were discontinued?

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_100_1360.jpg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
It looks like the rear microphone connector is an unfortunate aftermarket addition to an otherwise nice siren. That sure doesn't look like a factory job to me.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I find it odd that a mic jack would be mounted on the back of a siren. I think someone punched a hole in the back of the chassis and put in the four pin screw-on jack.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
It was probably an add on by a shop or installer. I have seen a bunch where the same connector was punched into the faceplate, which I never understood. Our local S.O. had them.

Wheels

May 23, 2010
El Paso, Texas
That's strange. If this is an add-on by an installer, who ever did it made it look factory. I guess the factory mount underneath gets in the way of other equipment...so i assume they mount a rear mic for clearance as an option.

squad 51 fan

May 24, 2010
u.s.a.ph twp michigan
Wailer said:
I find it odd that a mic jack would be mounted on the back of a siren. I think someone punched a hole in the back of the chassis and put in the four pin screw-on jack.
les, look at the serial number! it looks like it was connected with the fn-203 harness to a mocom-70 ,

Wheels

May 23, 2010
El Paso, Texas
That was another question i was going to ask. Federal states that PA150s can begin with either "T1A" or "Y1A". The serial number on mine is different because it begins with "N1A." So it makes me wonder if this feature was changed by Federal at sometime.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
T1A means the siren has the Tap II option.

Y1A means the siren has the 'instant yelp' option.

N1A means the siren doesn't have either option.

As of 1985, only the PA200 was available in T1A and Y1A versions.

The PA150 was intended to replace the PA15A Director as Federal's new 'economy' model full-size self-contained electronic siren.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.