Question about ALPR systems.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
So Auburn PD (next town over) has got a couple new Tauruses equipped with this system. My question is, does the ALPR automatically run the tags it scans through the DOL/DMV, or is there a pre programmed list of "hot" numbers that it alerts the officer to when they're detected? Just kind of curious how it works.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
May vary agency to agency slightly, but here is a video I found many years ago when ALPR started becoming popular:

https://youtu.be/ENGY1CD9y_4

Last edited by a moderator:

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
The system we had required a small file to be downloaded every day - essentially a listing of all the NCIC entered vehicles.  You could choose to download just your state, nationwide, etc.  You could also include other parameters such as wanted/suspended drivers, etc.

From what limited knowledge of the UK ANPR systems, it scans plates and runs them through PNC (UK NCIC) and the DVLA (UK DMV)

It's a lot like an anti-virus system, only with vehicles and crime.  It updates it's database daily to identify any/all new information regarding vehicles of interest.  

As ever, most of the time you get a simple no insurance hit, and it goes from there.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
From what limited knowledge of the UK ANPR systems, it scans plates and runs them through PNC (UK NCIC) and the DVLA (UK DMV)

It's a lot like an anti-virus system, only with vehicles and crime.  It updates it's database daily to identify any/all new information regarding vehicles of interest.  

As ever, most of the time you get a simple no insurance hit, and it goes from there.
It sounds as if this method is what is causing so much of a row on this side of the pond.  People are worried that all the plates scanned are run through the database, and the time and location of the vehicle can be stored.  Nice tool to help solve crimes - not nice if you are worried about your privacy.  (I know, your vehicle on the street is not private.)  Just what some are saying.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Each day/shift, a database is downloaded, which is constantly being updated (new stolens/missing/etc, remove recovered stolens/missing/etc). When the ALPR checks plates, it only checks the alphanumerics of the plate (not the state) against the database. A HIT/Match still needs to be confirmed thru dispatch. It does NOT run the plate for RO, plate info, current/expired registration, warrants.... etc, at least in our neck of the woods.

Reactions: Skippy

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Our local PD uses them. Theirs are set to run EVERYTHING they see. Couple of local repo companies use them too. Not a fan of em myself. Don't really want uncle sam putting me on a list because I hang out here or there.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Our local PD uses them. Theirs are set to run EVERYTHING they see. Couple of local repo companies use them too. Not a fan of em myself. Don't really want uncle sam putting me on a list because I hang out here or there.
Ugh, too little time, too much info.... typical uniformed response.

Will reply when done with work. However, refer to this thread for more info in the mean time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Not sure why you think I'm uninformed. I sat in on the implementation demo that couple of PDs around here that use them. In this case they are connected to NCIC and DMV records. They get GPS coords. And date time stamp on plate that they use for tracking crime stats. That info also goes back to the parent company.

Repo guys don't have DMV/NCIC access.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Not a fan of em myself. Don't really want uncle sam putting me on a list because I hang out here or there.
This sentence was what brought me to my conclusion of uninformed.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I see that now as I sit at home on my PC.  It was meant as sarcasm.  I was at work typing that on my phone.  Forgot to add the --(sarcasm)-- in that part.  I don't really care about it.  Not like I have anything to hide.  I'm a dispatcher for cryin' out loud, I know how to avoid getting caught (sarcasm)!!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
OK... I get it now. Not sure how many times my vehicles are in the local system between pulling into the work lot or home for dinner.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.