Question About Building an LASD/LACOFD Platter

ccrowley

Dec 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Good Morning Everyone, I have another newbie question for you all.
As a fan of Emergency!, I'd like to build a replica of an LASD/LACOFD Platter light for display in my garage. I was wondering would the modern Grote #6402 PAR 46 chrome housing would be a close match for the original Dietz housings?
If that's the case, then it would just be a matter of finding the GE 4001R and 4001A sealed beams and add a Federal CP-25 siren speaker on a homemade base (as it is just for display, only the lights will be operable).
Second question, is there a modern equivalent of the Do-Ray lollipop light and Do-Ray white identification light?
Thank you for the help!

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Good Morning Everyone, I have another newbie question for you all.
As a fan of Emergency!, I'd like to build a replica of an LASD/LACOFD Platter light for display in my garage. I was wondering would the modern Grote #6402 PAR 46 chrome housing would be a close match for the original Dietz housings?
If that's the case, then it would just be a matter of finding the GE 4001R and 4001A sealed beams and add a Federal CP-25 siren speaker on a homemade base (as it is just for display, only the lights will be operable).
Second question, is there a modern equivalent of the Do-Ray lollipop light and Do-Ray white identification light?
Thank you for the help!
The correct lamp for the rear amber is 4434A.

Reactions: ccrowley

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
That is correct. My suggestion is a Dietz 510 for the rear amber, and a Dietz 9-50 or 9-51 for the front red. The mounting brackets for the lamps are something somebody may have on ELB. They show up on ebay from time to time..

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Exactly the same. On the front reds of the platters they are "reversed" from what the Trio T2 would be, however the rear amber on the platter faces the same way as the Trios do.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The squad shown in the beginning of the pilot episode of Emergency (Squad 10?) had a platter with a Federal C5G mechanical siren on it. The siren sound that was dubbed in for that truck was a recording of a B&M S8.

ccrowley

Dec 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Yep! I was watching the pilot on TV last night (the reruns are back on our local station), it was the older model Dodge Squad 110 that had a platter with mechanical siren :D It also had the side-facing Do-Ray lollipop and a white beehive identification light above that! I also visited the LaCoFD Fire Museum on Saturday, didn't see any platters but I did get to sit in Squad 51 and Engine 51!

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_093325665.jpg
    IMG_20200118_093325665.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200118_093313348.jpg
    IMG_20200118_093313348.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200118_091405102.jpg
    IMG_20200118_091405102.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 29

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Yep! I was watching the pilot on TV last night (the reruns are back on our local station), it was the older model Dodge Squad 110 that had a platter with mechanical siren :D It also had the side-facing Do-Ray lollipop and a white beehive identification light above that! I also visited the LaCoFD Fire Museum on Saturday, didn't see any platters but I did get to sit in Squad 51 and Engine 51!
But where's the original crown engine 51, is it hiding in the background that you didn't photograph??

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The Crown Firecoach is equipped with a Federal PA20 electronic siren (c. mid 1960s). The siren sound that was dubbed in for that truck is a recording of a B&M S8 mechanical siren. The early Crown Firecoaches did come equipped with S8s, and some of them are seen in Emergency.

The PA20 sound was dubbed in for Squad 51, and it is a recording of the siren running in 'manual' mode. It is the same siren sound used for Adam-12.

The preserved Squad 51 is equipped with a PA20A series 2E (c. 1970s). It does not sound anything like the siren used for the TV show. I have one just like it and I also have a mid-1960s PA20. Each siren has a different circuit board.

Last edited:
Reactions: southpaw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.