Question about Carbide Tones

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi all, this is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I've made mistakes or breached protocol. I've read the Site Rules, but please do not hesitate to tell me if I'm out of line. I'd appreciate it. I apologize for the long post in advance. Please don't ding me too badly ;) .

To cut to the chase, I have a few questions about Carbide tones. I've been playing around with Carbide software, mostly as a little hobby. I have more than a little affinity for Whelen kit. I've been listening to the sample tones on the software and have compared them to those on the Whelen site. The regional EMS, city police and Provincial Police all use Cencoms. I believe the latter uses Sapphire, based on their control heads. Given the city police's very long history of having the absolute best kit available, I believe that they'd likely be using Carbide. EMS would be the same. On account of this all, I'm pretty familiar with a lot of their tones, especially the Simulated Mechanical tone.

I'm making a bit of a soundboard strictly for personal use. To call it a soundboard would be a huge compliment and exaggeration. It's more like a gaggle of siren tones in Audacity that I like to play around with from time to time. I have the tones from the Whelen site, but even after cleaning them up, there are still a lot of quality issues. I've found some tones that are taken directly from the siren box, but they're just the basic Whelen wail/yelp/piercer tones. I've found and ripped some of the tones that I'm looking for from YouTube videos, but they're all from Epsilons. I'm no expert in sirens, but I recall reading somewhere that Epsilons have a far different sound than CenComs. It certainly seems this way. Some tones seem far higher-pitched. There's a guy out there that made a CenCom simulator. I got my claws on it and to be perfectly honest, it's sub-par.

Stupid question inbound, but where might I find some Carbide tones direct from the siren box and/or good-quality recordings? Would anyone be willing to help out in this regard? I say again, this is purely for personal use. I haven't the intent nor the skill to make some sort of app, it's more for a little hobby.

The tones that I'm looking for are:

-Alt. Wail
-Alt. Yelp
-Composite Wail
-Composite Piercer
-Composite Yelp
-Sim. Mechanical
-Wail 378 p3
-Wail 850-1700 4s
-Wail 850-1700 5.25s
-Y225
-Y249

Feedback would be tremendously appreciated. Please tell me if I'm out to lunch and how I can improve. I really have a bit of a thing for CenComs (but then again, don't we all ;) ) and would love to make this gaggle of tones happen.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Which city police in Ontario? I can most likely inform you which siren system they are using. Same with your local EMS.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Which city police in Ontario? I can most likely inform you which siren system they are using. Same with your local EMS.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

unlisted: I apologize for the late reply. I've been bogged down as of late. I'll PM you with the police service/EMS just due to privacy concerns. The provincial police is the OPP and I think that they're using Sapphire now. Their new Chargers have Legacy lightbars (not sure if they're SOLO or DUO) and the control heads are the single button heads for Sapphire. No clue about the tones that they use, but I think that their yelp is a Y225 or a Y249. I'm not entirely sure, because the Sapphire software just has the basic Whelen wail/yelp/Piercier plus the alternates. Their other vehicles use Federal Signal Arjent lightbars, but I'm not sure if they're still using the D&R equipment on those vehicles.

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum :) . I think that I'll learn a lot from the forums and hopefully, I'll be able contribute knowledge as well. I still have a ton to learn, so the latter may take a while ;) .

got_yogurt: Sorry for the late reply as well. I've checked around a few times and the Carbide software is stand-alone. It's a ClickOnce program, so there aren't any wav files to copy. I have a few guesses as to how I might be able to extract them from the executable, so I'll have to tinker around in that regard. Is there another version of the Carbide software? I have the latest version from the Whelen site.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.