Question about Impala 9C1 HLF

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
I removed a Federal Signal "Ground side switching" HLF from our in-service 2002 9C1. It was not connected to anything on the car, just screwed to the radiator support. I'd like to get this working. Not sure why it was not hooked up. From what I can see, the factory headlight harness has not been cut.

FA5C-RDG Ground Side Switching Flasher "2112"

Not sure which of those is the model #. The unit has three relays, and a ton of wires. Two orange (one for each headlight I assume), red (power), black (ground), and I have green, blue, yellow and white. Without delving into a huge schematic, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on what needs hooked up on a 9C1 Impala. I know that they should have used a tie-in point (in the trunk?) but it appears that they did this the old fashioned way. I also need to know which headlight wires to snip and splice.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Well, if it has not been hooked up, why not move it to the trunk now, if there is a hook up point in there to access?

http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/install/2561602.pdf

heh, I can now see why you asked:

See figure 1 and perform the following
procedure:

1. Connect the flasher’s green wire to the

negative post of the battery.

CAUTION

Connection to a fusible link or a circuit

breaker may damage the flasher. Connect

only to a fuse as described.

2. Connect the white wire, through a usersupplied

10-ampere fuse to the positive post of the

battery or other high current source.

NOTE

Do not connect the white and red wires

together. The white wire must receive a

constant source of power at all times.

3. Connect the red wire to a user-supplied

single-pole, single-throw switch. Connect the other

side of the switch to a 12VDC source. This switch will

only require 1/4-ampere to activate the flasher.

4. On the PASSENGER side of the vehicle,

locate the ground wire of the high beam lamp (DO

NOT USE THE HOT WIRE.). Come out about 10" -

12" from headlamp and cut this wire in half. Connect

the yellow wire to the head lamp and the blue wire

to the other half (the return).

5. (Optional) This unit has automatic nighttime

cutoff. If you desire to use this feature, simply

“T” tap the black wire into the vehicle’s marker light

wire. If you don’t desire this feature, connect black

to ground.

6. Find the DRL input or output wire. Cut

this wire in half. Connect one of the orange flasher

wires to one of the cut DRL wire halves. Connect the

other orange flasher wire to the other cut DRL wire

half.

C. Chevrolet Impala Wiring (2000 and newer).

Follow the appropriate instructions in the

included Impala Flasher Instructions.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
kadetklapp said:
I removed a Federal Signal "Ground side switching" HLF from our in-service 2002 9C1. It was not connected to anything on the car, just screwed to the radiator support. I'd like to get this working. Not sure why it was not hooked up. From what I can see, the factory headlight harness has not been cut.

FA5C-RDG Ground Side Switching Flasher "2112"

Not sure which of those is the model #. The unit has three relays, and a ton of wires. Two orange (one for each headlight I assume), red (power), black (ground), and I have green, blue, yellow and white. Without delving into a huge schematic, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on what needs hooked up on a 9C1 Impala. I know that they should have used a tie-in point (in the trunk?) but it appears that they did this the old fashioned way. I also need to know which headlight wires to snip and splice.

Police package 2002 Impalas have a plug and play harness plug that would allow the interfacing of a flasher without cutting the wires. The plugs (tie in point) are triangular in shape and IIRC are white in color and are tied up somewhere close the where you found the flasher. We had many issues with the flashers failing on these cars after a few months of operation.....and I'm guessing it was due to the "relay switched ground side" design instead of a solid state version. We usually wound up replacing them or disabling them altogether and just plugging the harness back into itself.

We used SoundOff flashers that simply plugged in between the 2 factory plugs....no other wires were hooked up or run anywhere. The flasher was triggered by a factory provided wire in the harness in the car. Whoever installed your flasher may have decided it was too much trouble to cut the harness and figure out where everything goes. The directions provided by unlisted appear to be correct if you want to splice it in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.