Question about relays

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
Hello,

Having a hard time finding this on any forum. What gauge wire can be used as the trigger wire for a relay. The relay is powering my Hella lights which in total is 110W. I just want to know what I should fuse the low power wire running from the switch box to the relay at. Also how big should that "Low Power" wire be?

Thanks!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Please understand that the wattage of the load passing through the normally-open and common contacts of your relay has no bearing on the gauge of the wire required for the relay coil, or the size of the fuse you should use to protect the wire.

The best way to determine the load presented by the relay coil is to use an ammeter in line with the relay coil. Unless the relay you are using is grossly oversized, I anticipate the load presented by the relay coil will be quite small. It should be well less than one amp.

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
Thank you!!

Please understand that the wattage of the load passing through the normally-open and common contacts of your relay has no bearing on the gauge of the wire required for the relay coil, or the size of the fuse you should use to protect the wire.

The best way to determine the load presented by the relay coil is to use an ammeter in line with the relay coil. Unless the relay you are using is grossly oversized, I anticipate the load presented by the relay coil will be quite small. It should be well less than one amp.

http://www.rattlebars.com/avalanche/relay_basics.html

usually its milliamps needed to activate a relay... 18 - 20 ga should be fine

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
The missing factor in the equation is the length of the wire.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
but thats only TO the relay... the relay can be 2 inches from the switch...

Reactions: JazzDad

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.