Question about Whelen Ballast

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I recently purchased a Whelen MirrorBeam Kit from a member here on the board and they came with LIN-8's and a 2-Channel ballast flasher... My question is, can I run passive LEDs off of this flasher, or not...? I tried a quick search and didn't find any answers (I may have missed it, but regardless) Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks guys & gals...

- Tim

DMac

Jun 27, 2010
No sir. The ballast puts out somewhere between 18-30 volts (I don't remember). It will fry your passive heads. If you have passive heads (four wire), you don't need the ballast for anything. If you have two-wire heads, you'll need to seal lenses on them (for starters), then pick up an LED flasher of some sort.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Thanks... I just wanted to see if I could run multiple lightheads off of the ballast flasher. since I only have this one pair of Ballast driven led heads and I'm not sure what to do with them... LoL

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
If I remember correctly, the ballast will put out around 27 volts. If you've got it for that kit only, I'd say go ahead and use it. If you're wanting to sync it, I'd get some passive heads. I have an '04 Silverado and I have a Sho-me 11.1005SF running the mirror beams' LIN6s and two Whelen par36s on my brush guard in an X pattern.

Order 15355.pdf

Attachments

• Order 15355.pdf
    301 bytes · Views: 10
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well heres the thing. The kit came with red, which I cannot use, but I have a project comming up where red is needed... I just thought that this could be used as a flasher for the rest of the lightheads so there are all synced...

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Nah, since that ballast flasher is going to pump out 27 volts, it wouldn't be good for the rest of the lightheads if they were passive.

BTW, like your avatar (from a fellow Droid owner).

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
For argument's sake, if a ballast flasher puts out 27 volts, could a person get away with using two passive leds in series per channel?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.