Question: Dust and static in headlights

Jluke

Feb 27, 2012
Raleigh, NC USA
Hey anyone have any good tips on how to get rid of the dust build up in headlight assemblies when drilling for LED's or strobes. I have a pair in a Tahoe and the static is holding the dust on the lens and wont blow out or suck out.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
I rinsed the lense out, used a wet vac/air compressor to blow out as much water/debris as I could, and let it thoroughly dry out in the sun...

Jluke

Feb 27, 2012
Raleigh, NC USA
yeah that's where I am right now. Overcast day not helping but im giving it a shot. I can usually get it all out with a shop vac contraption that I made but that chevy housing just creates a fine power.

cbpdogboy said:
I rinsed the lense out, used a wet vac/air compressor to blow out as much water/debris as I could, and let it thoroughly dry out in the sun...

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
You can eliminate 80% of the debris by having a second person holding a shop vac next to the drill as you are drilling...for next time.

Jluke

Feb 27, 2012
Raleigh, NC USA
yeah kinda hard when you work solo 99% of the time lol Thanks for the input

OVERKILL

Jan 27, 2012
hamilton ontario canada
if you do a lot of law,s we made a jig from an old drill press that is inverted the bit spins and the table lowers it has a nilfisk advance vacuum on the drill portion and we always use a step bit it also has the option so we can blow air into the light housing as we are drilling to create postive air pressure at about 5psi it works like a charm but we drill a ton of holes cost about 400 to make the setup

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
Jluke said:
yeah kinda hard when you work solo 99% of the time lol Thanks for the input

Something I think might work... basically make a 3rd hand.

V notch in 2 2 foot 4x4's, face notches at each other for a diamond, clamp 4x4's to table with shopvac nozzle in the notch.

If it's not the height you need, just stack on top of something solid to elevate as necessary so you can have the nozzle in one position while you're drilling on your work table?

OVERKILL said:
if you do a lot of law,s we made a jig from an old drill press that is inverted the bit spins and the table lowers it has a nilfisk advance vacuum on the drill portion and we always use a step bit it also has the option so we can blow air into the light housing as we are drilling to create postive air pressure at about 5psi it works like a charm but we drill a ton of holes cost about 400 to make the setup

Pics please!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.