Question for fire fighters

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
So in earlier topics, I have expressed interest in getting an EMT certification. After careful consideration, I have decided also that I would like to join a volunteer fire department and pursue a FF1 as well. I've narrowed it down to 2 nearby departments but I can't seem to find info on their specific physical agility standards. I've already joined up at a local gym to get myself back in shape but what I would like to know is are there specific muscle groups I should be targeting or exercises I should be doing to prepare for the PA testing and subsequent academy, if accepted. All thoughts and general advice welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
Not every department has a physical ability test. Or at least the volunteer or paid on call ones. Career ones all do.

The career department I am currently on has one that is more focused on legs. Yet the one I am going to focuses more on forearm.

The "national standard" test is the CPAT test. If you can pass that you'll be ok at most of them.

Stairs are a big part of every test I've taken

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
Train using the CPAT. If you can pass it, you will be able to pass most physical agility tests. I also second cardio. Lots and lots of cardio.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Check on the cardio. Link to the CPAT standards?

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
To put things in perspective, most vol departments need members badly, and are not in a position to demand Ironman levels of athleticism. The test is most likely a minimum-level screen for candidates who can perform basic functions without hurting themselves or others. If you're physically active in your daily life and/or work, you're probably going to be OK on the test.

The more important question is what level of fitness you're going to maintain in order to be able to do the job at your best. Based on my experience as the guy who started FF 1 the week of my 49th birthday, cardio and flexibility are more important than brute strength or specific muscle groups. 

J-Rock1944

Jun 26, 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
Cardio, cardio, CAR-D-O. I'm only 5'10 and 170lbs. Cardio and leg work were my saving grace. (Thanks to my love of hiking legs were good to begin with! ;P) The dummy weighs more than I do. XD 

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
MtnMan, that's the reason I was asking. Being a professional driver I haven't been very active in my personal life.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
+1 to the cardio argument.  There really isn't a muscle group that a FF/EMT should target because it all depends on the task at hand.  It is critically important, however, that your ticker and lungs are capable of dealing with the stress.

I would recommend swimming.  Low-impact, engages the entire body, and gets the heart going.

Reactions: unlisted

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Hmm. Your comments lead me to believe I should quit smoking too. Christmas is now my quit date.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Don't know too many volunteer dept.s with a full in CPAT.. Cardio will be your biggest thing. Hell it's my biggest thing. I would work on cardio fire dept. or not. Do these depts require a PAT or did I miss that?

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Unknown. I couldn't find info on the standards so that's why I asked.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
You could ask the departments what their standards are.

As mentioned before, they vary and many departments are desperate for new blood.  I think my department requires a heart rate between 1 and 200 BPM.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Well, I've done some reading up on the CPAT events, and all seem to be things I might have to do as a firefighter. So I figure if I just go ahead and train to the higher standard, then not only should I be able to handle anything they may throw at me for a PAT, but also better prepared physically to carry out the duties/responsibilities of the position. Seemed logical enough at the time I made the decision.

Reactions: MtnMan

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Made a couple of updates in the longest thread. Getting my car fixed Saturday morning, then it's off to the gym for some hardcore cardio and more upper body work. I will be ready by June, if not earlier. Come hell or high water. I'm really looking forward to the day that I'll be able to make a post about graduating from volunteer fire academy.

Reactions: vonirkinshtine

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
I'll +1 the cardio discussion. You should put some weight training in there, but there's no one specific muscle group to target. You're going to work everything. Legs when you're dragging a dummy or humping hose, arms when you're working a pike pole, strong back is helpful when wearing an SCBA for long periods, etc.

And please quit the smoking. Nothing is quite as infuriating as watching an FF come out of a working fire, strip off his SCBA, and immediately light up. If you're going to do that, just leave the SCBA behind. Plus, most smokers will suck a bottle down in half the time as their non-smoking peers. It sucks to be interior and be making progress, have 3K in your pack, and have to bail because your partner is a smoker and his low air alarm is sounding.

Reactions: MEVS06

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.