Question for should i buy this?

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I work a lot of off duty "police" traffic control and police security details for the oil pipeline. We need police decals and red blue lights for these details which pay waaaay more than my real county deputy job. I have been using my 2013 F150 4x4 with a liberty and magnetic decals this job is going to go for another year maybe year and half. Should I buy a 2007 black crown vic fully equipped from a local pd fully marked for $2000 and use it or should I continue to use my pick up truck. This car comes with the following equipment.

R/B Liberty with LED alleys and take downs
R/B Whelen Inner Edge with halogen take downs
R/B Whelen Mirror beams
R/B 4 head rear dominator
6 head whelen strobe pack on tail lamps reverse lamps and corner front lamps
Whelen siren with whelen speaker
Cage and center console and window bars
and its fully marked I just have to remove the city name and plan on keeping the rest of the decals.

car is a 2007 has simple small cosmetic things wrong with it since its a fleet vehicle and of course its filthy from the inside since the officers don't really like to clean the interior. The car is still on rotation and on shift as I speak but they want to sell it. Mileage is around 180k

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Why waist the hours and mileage on the truck? You'd probably make up the fuel cost you'd save on the truck with the Vic so I say I go for it....

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
my only suggestion is could a crown vic get you everywhere you may need to go along an oil pipeline? i know some of the areas around our pipelines can get rather remote and dont even appear to have roads. plus a car has a lower vantage point than a truck...

Last edited:

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Lower vantage point was my first thought on the Crown Vic, too. But, OP has done the detail so I trust he knows if the Vic is suitable and he won't be sorry he gave up the height of the truck. On that basis, for 2k with everything you need, even if it craps out the following week, you're practically money ahead.

Reactions: Station 3

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
my only suggestion is could a crown vic get you everywhere you may need to go along an oil pipeline? i know some of the areas around our pipelines can get rather remote and dont even appear to have roads. plus a car has a lower vantage point than a truck...

That is true we do get paid extra if we can go to off road locations we also cover a island and you get paid extra if you have a 4x4

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
$2,000 to save wear and mileage on your truck. Drive it for the 1 to 1.5 years you need it and then either sell it whole or part out the equipment and then sell the car. You could probably easily get $1,000 back. If you claim your off-duty money under self employment / or itemize your deductions, claim the car as a business expense.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
And if you need the height, you could always mount an extra seat on the roof of the CV, ala Mad Max. Wouldn't you be the envy of the department?

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
And if you need the height, you could always mount an extra seat on the roof of the CV, ala Mad Max. Wouldn't you be the envy of the department?

I smell another JDI Production...

That is true we do get paid extra if we can go to off road locations we also cover a island and you get paid extra if you have a 4x4

is the additonal pay worth the wear and tear on your Truck?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
so here is a counter question..
Can you do mechanical work yourself to the car if it needs it?
Not to state the obvious but 180k on a CVPI is crazy high.. and that's just mileage.. not even considering the idle time this car has seen.

If you can do the work and you address some of the common issues these things are known to have.. then yes go for it. If not then your on a wing and a prayer as to what could go wrong and what it's gonna cost to repair.

just my .02

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I say you buy the Crown Victoria and give me your extra Liberty since you know I've been looking for one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.