Question: Old School Flasher

mfaith91

May 23, 2010
Kentucky
Okay... back in "the day" you could take a 3 prong (turn-signal) flasher, and wire it in a manner that would give you an alternating flasher- if done correctly.

The new ones nowadays won't let you do that. I noticed this evening 4 and 5 position flashers too.

Surely- without spending $30 on an alternating flasher- there is a way to get one of these 4 or 5 pinned flashing units to alternate.

Does anybody have a schematic to do this? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks.

Mike

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
you need a type 537 flasher. That is a three prong design.

A standard flasher will not alternate. period. no matter if its 2 or 4 prong.

most auto stores carry a 537, like NAPA or Carquest, etc

Bob

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
The "old school flashers" were thermal flashers with metal contacts. Most of the newer flashers are electronic flashers with a minimum draw for alternating the side marker lights with the turn signals. If it does flash alternatively, the flash cycle will not be 50/50.

The 537 flashers and some of the "old" school bus flashers still have an amp limit as to the number of lamps they will flash, depending upon current draw. Dietz marketed a flasher used on ambulances and fire apparatus that had a larger capacity, but it was still a thermal flasher, with a particularly loud "click, click". Some of the original Unitrol headlight flashers, which were essentially a 537 rigged through relays, might be used were you need an old school flasher.

The best path IMO is to change over to old electronic flashers, like the Code 3 710 or 711, when you need to update the lights.

The Code 3 flashers are nice because they are flat and have screw terminals. I have even used one as a relay for fog lights.

One of the ELB members in New York bought some old Whelen headlight and taillight flashers I had to modify his lightbar. He said they Worked fine and they probably won't burn out like the thermal flashers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.