Question Regarding Decals

Dec 12, 2015
Central Mass
So, I have a local police officer who has constantly harassed me for several years (he thinks I'm a druggie). I'm also an EMT-B. Now, I'm not on a department, but I have a nice shiny EMT sticker for the front window of my SUV. But last time I had one (I was on a dept.) He once wrote me a ticket for driving on a lane closed to through traffic while responding to an assist call. He told me to take it off or he'd write me a fine for "falsely identifying as a member of emergency services" Now, I'm not impersonating an EMT or FF, It shows that I'm an EMT. In accordance with MA law, it's legal so long as I have it somewhere not obstructing my forward view. Should I refrain, or get the ticket and head off to court if he gives me one? Half our town (including his own colleagues believe he's dirty)

Is this a violation of my 1st amendment rights, or my right to present my EMT status?

Last edited:

octoberguy77

May 15, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Take it to court. It wouldn't hurt to consult an attorney just to be safe. Also if you can get backing from a dept. (Letterhead stating your status, professional experience, etc) I would then take it to his superiors and explain your situation and mention that you've already consulted an attorney. That will keep everything at bay.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
You have a state-issued license and that's all you need to validate your status.

I'd suggest checking the vehicle code to ensure placement anywhere on the vehicle's glass doesn't constitute obstructed vision. The checking with a lawyer is good advice, too. Based on what you've told us, you might also consider the advice of filing a complaint the next time you feel you've been unfairly treated by this officer. It boils down to if you think putting the sticker on your car is worth the hassle.

Frankly, for what it's worth, in this day and age, I took the EMT sticker off my car and changed my National Guard plate for a standard plate. And, since I don't respond in my POV, I removed my mounted lights dash and rear MicroMan bar; now I just have a throw light. I want to be as low profile on the road as I can. There's more to this than just first amendment or pride in service. YMMV

Reactions: Retired1

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
There are usually two sides to every story. Too bad I can't get the officer's version of this so I can read about his perspective.

I have a few questions regarding OP's opening post:
1. Why does the officer think you are a druggie?
2. Did you get convicted of the ticket he wrote you for driving in the lane not open for traffic?
3. 'Half your town thinks he is dirty, including colleagues'. That is a pretty powerful statement to make without some type of supporting documentation (of course the officer was not named, so its just 'street talk' at this point).
4. I know nothing about EMT certification. Does MA EMT certification expire or have to be renewed at certain intervals? (Google says - yes. However, I could not find how long between issuance & expiration.)
5. Does MA permit the use of red/white lights to the front by a freelance EMT - not associated with any agency? (your youtube install, posted Dec 13, shows a front facing red/white light (a knock off Viper held on by a coat hanger per your ELB install thread).

Last edited:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Dude... You're 19 (according you your profile here), have lights in your car (for EMS response) according to your install thread even though here you admit you're not on a department... I think the officer has good reason to be suspicious of you and mention impersonation. Many states will not allow you to practice as an EMT without being affiliated with an agency or employed as an EMT in some capacity that has a medical director.

There are bigger fish to fry and it seems like you're intentionally drawing the attention to yourself.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Just out of curiosity, if you're an EMT in MA why aren't you listed as holding current certification by the MA Dept of Health & Human Services?
https://checkalicense.hhs.state.ma.us/MyLicenseVerification/
If you have a current MA cert then you can hardly be accused of impersonating an EMT. If you don't, well....

Something seems to be missing here, you say you're 19 but you're been harassed for "several years" by this officer, since you must be 18 to even begin EMT classes I assume the harassment started well before that point. Most cops have better things to do than harass new drivers unless you give them cause to do so. Also, most cops usually cut some slack or at least tolerate young first responders as long as they drive within the law - and don't fail the attitude test.

If you're 19 and were previously on a department, but aren't now, that kind of makes me wonder what happened. Maybe you're totally legit and in fact the victim of some kind of targeted action by this officer, but it sounds like a number of posters above have some questions as well. Remember, if you're operating a vehicle legally and representing yourself truthfully, you have nothing to worry about.

Edit: After I posted this I went back and viewed your video posted by Retired1 where you have installed red/white "for EMS calls" and amber/white "for roadside assisting." ai785.photobucket.com_albums_yy134_Hauntdsong_smileyrolleyes.gif

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2015
Central Mass
I am 100% legal, as my light permit is still active. On the subject of the MA website, I really don't know. This officer has harassed myself and my family for several years, because my father is an addict and he thinks that for some reason I followed in his footsteps. I did win the court case for the citation. It is a small town, and I did make a complaint against the officer, which was tossed out the window. As for my install, the light does it's job and is quite potent, so I'm not sure if you were saying something bashing my install or what. Now, I'm not here to be critiqued or criticized, and wish to give away as little of my personal details as possible. I suppose I'll remove the decal, go stealth and not do anything about it. This guy is ruthless, I once watched him pepper spray a 49 year old suffering from a mental breakdown, who was in need of psych services. I'm going to see what a local attorney has to say.

I have my permit and I have a sticker. I guess I may be making a fuss.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I am not bashing your front light install. You can mount your light with bubble gum and rubber bands. I don't care and you are happy with it. At the moment, it looks like it is well placed and very functional.

I am questioning the validity of your having it / using a red/white flashing light facing front, if you are not a current member of an authorized agency.

I also noticed that there is no nice, shiny, EMT decal on your window in your Dec 13 Youtube posting. Has it been added in the last week or did you remove it for the video? To stay on the OP's original question: I suggest that, if OP is authorized to display the sticker, it gets displayed on a window surface that is compliant with MA law.

I really have no "dog in this hunt", but I was drawn to it by your narrative describing the local police officer as "dirty" and 1/2 the town knowing. In many towns, few average citizens actually know much, if anything, about individual officers, other than exchanging pleasantries at the local diner or through individual contacts at calls for service or enforcement issues, so I was interested to know how that statistic was arrived at? (*Disclaimer: In many small towns, the local police officers become part of the community family, where everyone knows everyone and the citizens welcome the officers as a valued asset of the community.)

As a LEO, I went out of my way to address the intentional disregard of the vehicle laws by posers and imposters (read: citation, arrest, impound as needed), while supporting / assisting the use of high visibility lights by volunteers that followed the rules. Was I disliked (even hated) by most of those posers / imposters? I am reasonably sure that I was. Was I "dirty"? Not a chance. Again, I am disappointed that we cannot hear the officer's side of this story.

I don't expect that I will post in this thread again (I am too far removed from the issue - and the laws in MA governing your use of the lights), but I will follow it with great interest.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2015
Central Mass
I removed the decal before that video was made (It was well worn by the weather) I'm not a poser, nor would I ever be. The officer is liked by some, hated by many and tolerated by me. He has lack of respect for pretty much everyone. He doesn't properly represent the badge. My town is large enough (15,000 residents approx.)

How is your permit still valid if you aren't affiliated with an agency? MASS 90-7E seems to state otherwise...

You're starting to get a little confrontational, or maybe my comprehension skills are just horrible. But if you are, if you wouldn't mind keeping this thread a little more on the topic of the sticker, and not my (valid) light permit, which really has nothing to do with this.

Now, like you'd mentioned, there are bigger fish to fry. Like a long week of holiday travel on the way, and the fact that I'm going to have to face New York State's horrible traffic.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Nope, you're right. Your comprehension skills are horrible. We've all had valid, legitimate concerns about the way you are trying to represent yourself here and you're quite dodgey about it. You're now back pedaling and trying to divert the discussion to another topic (which you just asked me to refrain from doing).

I'd love the Athol Police Department's opinion on the matter.

Reactions: PJD642 and RescueWV
May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
I'm also an EMT-B. Now, I'm not on a department...

I think I can stop you right there. I'm going to speak from my knowledge of practice here in NC, but I encourage you to research this strongly in your state.

Even with your EMT-B certification, if you are not a member of an EMS provider (FD or otherwise), then that certification is only good for a wall decoration. You must be affiliated with an agency to cover your insurance and maintain your training and con-ed records. Otherwise you are a civilian with above-average first aid skills. Contrary to your signature you can't just "volunteer" to be an EMT without an affiliation. That is really good way to have your certification revoked and face a malpractice lawsuit.

Your issues will lessen if you can join an agency and become one with their protocols.

Otherwise you are a poser. Sorry to break it to you.

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
Very well said you must be part of a FD EMS service etc. in order to practice your emt B if not and you arrive on scene and provide aid something goes wrong etc. the family can file a lawsuit of malpractice.
Also I think that all the questions that have been asked that you have skirted are legit and on topic just mho

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
In Michigan, the state licenses MFRs, EMTs (B, I, and P) and there is no requirement to be affiliated with an agency in order to practice within the scope of that license. That said, even with an agency, you are always responsible for your actions. Practicing outside the scope of your license or providing care that is below the standard of care for your level of training will invite legal challenges and could result in license revocation/suspension. I don't know if MA requires agency affiliation in order for an EMT to practice his/her skills.

I also don't know MA law on lights, but without agency affiliation, there is no emergency response, only scene protection. So red/white is not necessary, especially since you have amber/white to the rear.

As I see it, all the replies are germane and you asked, so don't get butthurt by the responses. Although you started with the issue of the EMT decal, you also brought up your lights and emergency response, so I think everything here is fair game except maybe the NY traffic you think you'll face that you randomly threw in. On second thought, you might want to check NY light laws before you cross the state line since they'll apply even if your vehicle is registered in MA.

Edited to add:
One other thought/piece of advice. A lot of members here are affiliated with law enforcement, so there's a tendency to give benefit of the doubt to police officers. We all know there are bad apples out there, just like with every profession or random group. We've only heard your side of the story with the officer you're aggrieved by and there are always two, sometimes three, sides to every story. The totality of the circumstances you've presented us with seem somewhat dubious, I think.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2015
Central Mass
Very well said you must be part of a FD EMS service etc. in order to practice your emt B if not and you arrive on scene and provide aid something goes wrong etc. the family can file a lawsuit of malpractice.
Also I think that all the questions that have been asked that you have skirted are legit and on topic just mho

Well, in this case. The lights are coming down. I'm not currently on the job, and that's that. The reds, of course not the ambers. Mass also doesn't have a stop law, which means I don't have to stop. To the best of my knowledge the only states with those laws are Vermont and Minnesota, or one of the other "M" states. To avoid any legal action, I'll rip my lights out, toss them in a box, and we can all stop talking about this.

Dec 12, 2015
Central Mass
[/QUOTE]On second thought, you might want to check NY light laws before you cross the state line since they'll apply even if your vehicle is registered in MA.[/QUOTE]

I know NY's Volunteer color is blue, and NYSP uses red.
I'll pull the lights in the morning. It's a few wires to snip and cap off. Won't take me more than a few minutes.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I think you are on the right track now. I suggest removing ALL your lights and let people judge you for who you really are: "The Real Seth Allen", 19 year old man about to conquer the world by hard work and acquiring skills and knowledge to enable those conquests. Tying to trick the public into believing that you are something that you are not (or not totally), never plays out well.

Your profile shows your occupation being an EMT. I am not sure that volunteer freelancing, not being affiliated, driving the highways hoping to drive up on someone in need fits that description well. I suggest a change to something more fitting.

Lastly, I strongly suggest forgetting about 'roadside assist'. Leave it to the paid professionals to take care of those issues.

I sincerely hope that you follow through with my suggestions. Ditching the 'pretender' facade will endear you to folks here that will be pleased to assist you as you establish your career in whatever venue you choose.

Good luck!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I think you are on the right track now. I suggest removing ALL your lights and let people judge you for who you really are: "The Real Seth Allen", 19 year old man about to conquer the world by hard work and acquiring skills and knowledge to enable those conquests. Tying to trick the public into believing that you are something that you are not (or not totally), never plays out well.

Your profile shows your occupation being an EMT. I am not sure that volunteer freelancing, not being affiliated, driving the highways hoping to drive up on someone in need fits that description well. I suggest a change to something more fitting.

Lastly, I strongly suggest forgetting about 'roadside assist'. Leave it to the paid professionals to take care of those issues.

I sincerely hope that you follow through with my suggestions. Ditching the 'pretender' facade will endear you to folks here that will be pleased to assist you as you establish your career in whatever venue you choose.

Good luck!

You nailed it on the head and said it much more eloquently than I ever could.

Reactions: Bill Boyd
Dec 12, 2015
Central Mass

Good luck!

Well, the ambers do have to stay. I've been doing roadside assisting for a mechanic in my area. I have every intention of not just conquering the world, but owning it. I'm currently enrolling in Medic school. Possibly in my homeland (Pennsylvania) because jobs are much more plentiful. Signature change happening now.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Well, in this case. The lights are coming down. I'm not currently on the job, and that's that. The reds, of course not the ambers. Mass also doesn't have a stop law, which means I don't have to stop. To the best of my knowledge the only states with those laws are Vermont and Minnesota, or one of the other "M" states. To avoid any legal action, I'll rip my lights out, toss them in a box, and we can all stop talking about this.

Bravo good sir. Unlike so many others that have come before you, you have heeded some valid advice offered by the members here. This forum is about much more than blinkies and whoopty-woos. The brotherhood that runs deep through the emergency services is very evident here and we are very protective of that brotherhood from people who seek to give it a bad name. That being said, we always welcome newbies because the world of volunteer firefighting is loosing good, hard workers. We need all the help we can get.

Now, find a department and you can become a full-fledged wacker like Storm or Eric, hahaha.

Dec 12, 2015
Central Mass
Bravo good sir. Unlike so many others that have come before you, you have heeded some valid advice offered by the members here. This forum is about much more than blinkies and whoopty-woos. The brotherhood that runs deep through the emergency services is very evident here and we are very protective of that brotherhood from people who seek to give it a bad name. That being said, we always welcome newbies because the world of volunteer firefighting is loosing good, hard workers. We need all the help we can get.

Now, find a department and you can become a full-fledged wacker like Storm or Eric, hahaha.

I just plan on clean. CPS Visor bar with 4 LN6 T/A all on custom switches mounted to my vehicle's overhead console, and two LINZ 6s in my front plate area. Oh, maybe a decal in the rear window when the time comes, perhaps some nice white vertexes in the reverse lights.

Medic school here I come!

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
From Seth's wanted items post:
"My department doesn't allow sirens. I'm looking for a power airhorn kit. I'd like to spend around $90-120 if that's reasonable. PM me if you have something!"*

What department would this be, Seth?

What a strange reply to vonirkinshtine's well-written last post:
"I just plan on clean. CPS Visor bar with 4 LN6 T/A all on custom switches mounted to my vehicle's overhead console, and two LINZ 6s in my front plate area. Oh, maybe a decal in the rear window when the time comes, perhaps some nice white vertexes in the reverse lights."

Just when I thought there might be a glimmer of hope, someone turned the light switch to the 'off' position (insert multiple head banging emojis here).

This thread is beginning to look more and more like someone, who knows the forum, pulling on our pants legs and laughing over their eggnog with each post they make....

If I lived closer, I would be having breakfast with that local officer tomorrow.

*= http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/looking-for-a-few-things.71472/#post-572894

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
To the OP.....We were all your age once and I'm sure at one point or another a lot of us felt the same as you currently do. Do the right thing and get on a department (paid or volunteer), follow the rules, SOPs, and laws. Only then will you be given the best opportunity to "conquer". Helping people is more than just getting a certification (EMT, PD, FF, SAR) and putting visual/audible warning devices in your car/truck. On the job experience will teach you that lesson more than any class ever could.

You're 19 and are "not only going to conquer the world but own it"(your words). You really need to take a step back grasshopper and listen to the info being given to you be seasoned, experienced, been-in-this-game-since-Christ-was-a-corporal, professionals and volunteers.

Or your just trollin'........

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
... I've been doing roadside assisting for a mechanic in my area. I have every intention of not just conquering the world, but owning it. ...

To own the world, you must survive it. The roadside is not a safe place to be. Get with a department, be trained by them, and keep your eyes open. You might even learn a bit here: http://www.respondersafety.com/

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Last edited:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I love reflective material on an emergency vehicle. It's free (no electricity expended) warning. I had to remove some from my Texas POV when a local LEO pointed out:
"Sec. 547.303. COLOR REQUIREMENTS. (a) Unless expressly provided otherwise, a lighting device or reflector mounted on the rear of a vehicle must be or reflect red." http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.547.htm

Reactions: Retired1
Dec 12, 2015
Central Mass
I'd love chevrons. But on the back of a luxury SUV, not sure they'd be appropriate.

Dec 12, 2015
Central Mass
To own the world, you must survive it. The roadside is not a safe place to be. Get with a department, be trained by them, and keep your eyes open. You might even learn a bit here: http://www.respondersafety.com/

I've got the basic knowledge I need to stay safe on the road.

In response to my "owning the world", I meant that as more of a generalization.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Reactions: PJD642 and Tony P
Dec 12, 2015
Central Mass
My insurance company thinks it is. It's certainly more refined than the Chevy Trailblazer I park next to.

Compared to the TrailBlazer it's got.
More soundproofing.
AWD over 4WD.
Softer Suspension
Key in the center.

Other stuff..

Dec 12, 2015
Central Mass
I didn't pay nearly that much, not even close.

Mine sits at 129k and doesn't skip a beat.
Mom's TrailBlazer is at around 258k

But yes, it's supposed to be the replacement for the Olds Bravada.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.