Questions about NYPD grille lights

I once saw a restored NYPD 1973 Plymouth Fury, and I noticed it had two flashing red lights under the grille. I have two questions: 1. What brand and model of lights did the NYPD use for their grille lights in the 70s, and 2. How did they mount them under the grille?

I'd say Signal Stat Cyclo-Stat 4" lollipops. Single faced, single wire, single contact socket.
I would agree. There are a few issues with reproduction of NYPD stuff

• There are "show car" reproductions that used "close enough" or "street legal" equipment.
    • An example is the wrong sealed beam color or type
  • NYPD repaired things and they came back in a different state than they were issued.
    • An example would be the sequence of the red/white sealed beams in the aerotwin
  • The NYPD standard vs. the "one example" that we can find
    • Sometimes there is more documentation of "the odd equipment out" than the standard
  • Number of vehicles causing ordering differences
    • Both FDNY and NYPD had to take what they could get into stock sometimes
    • As recently as COVID FDNY was running a partial fleet of rented/loaner ambulances of a different type and setup than their standard.
    • If the grill trim differed within a lot of vehicles this could change grill light options, especially if a grounding surface wasn't present in the same spot.
      • You see the grill lights centered on the grill "post" and mounted off to the sides, which appears to be trim package dependant
So I would say signal stat lights of the right size and shape would be a solid bet and more than close enough

I would agree. There are a few issues with reproduction of NYPD stuff

• There are "show car" reproductions that used "close enough" or "street legal" equipment.
    • An example is the wrong sealed beam color or type
  • NYPD repaired things and they came back in a different state than they were issued.
    • An example would be the sequence of the red/white sealed beams in the aerotwin
  • The NYPD standard vs. the "one example" that we can find
    • Sometimes there is more documentation of "the odd equipment out" than the standard
  • Number of vehicles causing ordering differences
    • Both FDNY and NYPD had to take what they could get into stock sometimes
    • As recently as COVID FDNY was running a partial fleet of rented/loaner ambulances of a different type and setup than their standard.
    • If the grill trim differed within a lot of vehicles this could change grill light options, especially if a grounding surface wasn't present in the same spot.
      • You see the grill lights centered on the grill "post" and mounted off to the sides, which appears to be trim package dependant
So I would say signal stat lights of the right size and shape would be a solid bet and more than close enough
Wow, very informative! Thank you very much; this is the first time the founder of this great site has responded to one of my posts!

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquadenta