Questions about wiring my 2 lightbars to my 4200 mini series - fuses - relays - amps

OffroadForester

Feb 7, 2018
Omaha nebraska
New Member, I just got my 4200 mini series in the mail the other day. Removed some paneling and got it mounted. Connected it to my battery, we're green! Not doing anything else until I can get clarification on a few questions. Thanks in advance :)

I have two lightbars, a 20in 300W and a 42in 746W. Converted that is 25 amps, and 62 amps respectively, and way more than the controller is rated for. Each lightbar already has its own relay, on/off switch, and are already installed. Using the existing relay, can I simply remove the existing lightbar on/off and connect that to the 4200 (pos wire I believe)?? I think it would wire up up to #85 on the relay. I already have a 20A fuze spaced appropriately from the battery. Once clarified I will take photos of the setup, I'm yet to see this detailed on here and i've read just about everything. Thanks!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
What are the light bars? If the w your stating is watts... Then what kind of mini bar is drawing 23.5 amps?

OffroadForester

Feb 7, 2018
Omaha nebraska
From what I've read, I'm getting sent to ohms law - amps=watts/volts. It also stated that alot of the given LED wattages (mostly made in china) are overstated i.e. 2880 watt led light bar would have 240 amps and that's ridiculous.

I know both lightbars have an amperage that is higher than the controller allows. I read some forums on other pages with led products that didn't come with a relay and thats what they ended up needing. One if the terminals on the relay is for the 4200.

OffroadForester

Feb 7, 2018
Omaha nebraska
I emailed feniex about wiring this afternoon before I realized the amperage and relay issue. Coincidentally they just replied.

"Thank you for your inquiry. You would need to hook up your lights to activated power and to ground on its 12C+ and 12V- wires. You would then proceed to connect the function wire on the lightbar to one of the mini 4200 activated switch wire."

Pretty much what I was thinking. The function wire comes out of the relay. This afternoon (I work till 6am so when I wake up*) I'm going to wire it up this way. Assuming it works I'll have a video and photos up here for everyone.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ok first of all NO mini led lightbar is going to pull 23 amps. dont confuse "watts of brightness" with actulal watts of power....

a 2 rotator halogen minibar barely pulls 12 amps.

what gauge wiring are on your bars?

OffroadForester

Feb 7, 2018
Omaha nebraska
I get what you're saying. I just broke up an the original toggle and wired it up and it works! The wiring for the bars are 14 or 16 and the wiring thats for the original on/off is 18ga. Im gonna rerun the 18 .ca and make it 16 or 14.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.