Questions for TIR6 Fans

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
The first LED lights I bought when they first came out were TIR6 DashMisers, and then a TIR6 SlimLighter. They were absurdly expensive and the lights were more of a turquoise or teal (blue/green) rather than blue. When I was in college one of my professors called a hypothteical non-existent blue/green color "grue." Well, that's what these lights were! :D

I sold all my TIR6s long ago and jumped on the linear LED bandwagon, but I'm again considering TIR6s for my grille.

If you are a TIR6 fan, can you tell me why? To be honest, it's been so long since I've seen them in person I don't even remember what they look like. Are there benefits, advantages, or disadvantages of a TIR6 over a 500-series linear/super LED?

Thanks for your input.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
The tir6's have A LOT more punch head on! I love them i turn tir6's up front and on my rear deck. Can't beat them in terms of pure punch but off axis they suck!

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
Thanks for that! These would be in the grille of a marked CVPI. Since it has a Liberty lightbar, flashing alleys, and HAW strobes, off-axis isn't as important.

Maybe the TIR6 really is worth considering.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Yea tir6's are probably one of the best choices for behind the grille applications! Although personally i prefer the old halogen grille lights on the cvpi!

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Yeah, if you already have the intersections covered, go with TIR6's. I have them in the light bar on my patrol car and love them. My sgt has the same bar and his 2 TIR heads are brighter than the cpl's who Justice bar.

May 22, 2010
New York City
go for it, and as long as they are current production or a few years old, you will get that TRUE blue, instead of that other tint

May 22, 2010
Central WV
If you are going to behind tint or behind something like a grill, I'd always go with a TIR style light over a linear. The TIR's have much more forward punch than a linear style light does, but they have little off axis where the linears have a lot more off axis. The best setups have a mix of linear and TIR style technologies that give good forward punch and good off axis light.

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
aberfitchguy2472 said:
, in
The best setups have a mix of linear and TIR style technologies that give good forward punch and good off axis light.

Yes, that has been my belief as well. I have as primary rear lighting through Chrysler factory tint Tomar High Power RECT25's with a Slimlighter MM in between for use on bright sunny days for that extra punch. On cloudy days or at night, the Tomar's are plenty bright, in my opinion any way.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.