Radar Doppler coming through radio

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
OK... I am stumped! I have installed a Decatur Genesis I radar into a unit. Whenever the radar is on, either in Xmit mode or Idle, the doppler sound is coming through the radio VHF 155 band. I have even gone so far as to unplug the antenna from the radar unit, with no effect. I thought the radar unit might have an issue, so I grabbed another off the shelf, plugged it in with the identical results. Has anyone else run into this?

Notes: Power for Radio, direct to battery, Power for radar, factory cigar plug into factory Ford Cigar outlet. Ground for radio, direct to battery.

I am sure this will cause a big debate but grounding to the battery is normally not advisable. I would say the issue is in the ground. I would isolate the radar first. Take a external power source and power the radar in place. If that works its your power and ground source. Try running power for the radar to a clean source (usually not the facotry cig plug). My background is in high end mobile audio video and we track these issues ofter, and every time its a power/ground source. But again I would start with the radar being powered elsewhere just to make certain its not throwing rf or something else.

Hope this makes some sort of sense... kinda scattered

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I will shift the radio ground off the battery. The radar comes with a cigar plug affixed to the unit, so I can't see that being the issue. I will test the radio ground and advise the results in about an hour. Thank You!

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
Changed the ground for the radio to a grounding point on the firewall. No dice.... same thing :no:

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
If the unit is in hold then its not going to be a true Doppler tone that's coming out of the radio but electric interference. (Ie the radar is not transmitting in hold)

What happens if you take a second radar unit and power it up but not transmit and just move the head counting unit around the inside of your car. Does it get worse the closer you get to the radio antenna or the radio?

We have only used Kustom or Stalker and haven't had this issue before.

Dirty factory system. I still say leave radar in car and power it elsewhere (we have a test bench with a long remote power cord). Put a plug on that and see. My charger was setup by my department an it has engine noise in the scanner. Changed ground and power source and problem was solved solved.

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
Although no longer the case here in Florida, there used to be a requirement for the radar plug to be directly wired to the vehicle battery to offset any interference.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.