Radio questions

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I'm not a radio person, but I got a few quick questions for anyone that is

I have a Motorola radio (unknown model) and it will only scan the main channel (MRD). If I move to something like car to car and have scan on, it will immediately go back to showing MRD and I have to take the scan off to hear or use car to car. Does anyone know of a place to get pics of Motorola radios so I can figure out which model I have so I can then ask how to reprogram the scan?

My portable is a Kenwood TK 2170. I would like to also change the scan list on this, but no one seems to know where the add/delete scan button is. Any ideas?

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
Call your local dealer in your area.

if it is a PM1500 it can be set up to do " off mic" and " hang up" scan enable/disable.

MRD must be your designated priority channel in the program list and personality settings

The unit can do Dual Priority Scan,if you find yourself using another channel quite often you can add that as your 2nd priority channel in scan settings

Can you post a digital photo of the unit? Is it in personal or work or agency vehicle?

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
wkr518 said:
The unit can do Dual Priority Scan,if you find yourself using another channel quite often you can add that as your 2nd priority channel in scan settings

The only thing more annoying than using a radio with priority scan, is using one set up with dual priority scan.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
wkr518 said:
Call your local dealer in your area.
if it is a PM1500 it can be set up to do " off mic" and " hang up" scan enable/disable.

MRD must be your designated priority channel in the program list and personality settings

Can you post a digital photo of the unit? Is it in personal or work or agency vehicle?

Unfortunately, the local dealer is 45 min away and I can't take the car out of county unless doing a transport, chase, or class. It is in my work car, I will grad a pic of it tomorrow night when I go back in.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
RL1 said:
My portable is a Kenwood TK 2170. I would like to also change the scan list on this, but no one seems to know where the add/delete scan button is. Any ideas?

It's set in the programming and can be any of the keys. Start pushing buttons when not scanning to see if the ch add/del mark on the screen appears/disappears. If it doesn't, you may not have that button option programmed.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Hey guys, just for an update, I was playing around with the portable when I got in to work last night and was able to figure out the add/delete button. Also talked to someone else with the same radio and they said the scan list is locked and the guy who just got the car up-fit contract doesn't have the right cables or program. I guess one is better than none.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
RL1 said:
Hey guys, just for an update, I was playing around with the portable when I got in to work last night and was able to figure out the add/delete button. Also talked to someone else with the same radio and they said the scan list is locked and the guy who just got the car up-fit contract doesn't have the right cables or program. I guess one is better than none.

Nice... :roll: We all scan different channels at the PD. I like to scan the ambulance channel, others don't. Should be user choice.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
In my old car (which I loooooved), I had MRD as primary, then the SO, car to car, fire/ems, and car to base, in that order. Loved it. It was a Kenwood and the mic was smaller but I really liked it. I now have my portable set up the same as my old car, so I'm keeping my in car on MRD and keep my portable on scan I can hear the other channels. If I need to use car to car, I turn down the portable and flip the mobile to the channel, switching back when done. I am going to bitch to the LT next time I see him (may be a while since he doesn't like nights :roll: ) and tell him how that method has already bit me in the ass once. I went out on a guy who had just beat his wife, smashed up her car, and was trying to drive away, highly drunk mind you. When I got on scene, I hadn't even finished saying I was 23 when dude jumped out of his truck and ran. Radio traffic went like this: com, I'm 23 at 123 main streHES RUNNING! 10-80 on foot! Com tried to raise me to find out direction, pres location, etc, but I never heard them till I had him on the ground and in cuffs because I hadn't been able to turn my radio up while running, tackling, and struggling.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Some guys turn their radios off while in the car. I always leave my portable on, non-scanning. If there's something else going on on another channel/city I want to listen to, I switch to that in the car, but I can still hear the PD channel. Just have to remember to switch back before transmitting. Not to mention, if I do have to bail out quick, I don't have to remember to turn my portable on on the run. That bit me in the ass a couple times as a noobie, so I always just leave it on, but turned down to just barely audible.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Why not just get a surveillance earpiece? No feedback, can keep the radio at the correct volume, easier to hear in high noise environments, never have to remember to turn it back on when getting out of the car, etc. I couldn't work a single shift without it (been using one for 8 years now).

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Yep, I wear an earpiece now that I have a newer style mic with the jack on the mic, not the attachment down by the radio.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I have an earpiece, but the ear piece actually cuts down the volume quite a bit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.