Radio Rebroadcast Question

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
I have a 295SL100. I don't have my radio hooked up to my siren, so the RAD function doesn't do anything. As a result, I have my siren programmed for airhorn on RAD, and two manual tones on MAN1 and MAN2 respectively. The siren is usually left in RAD.

I was testing out my grille lights today with the truck on and I heard what sounded like a small fan running. It was a very quiet whining sound coming from my speaker. If I go to MAN1 or MAN2 it stops. I assume this is just a function of the siren being in the RAD position without a radio hooked up.

My question is this: is this bad for the siren or the speaker? Should I leave it in MAN1/2 instead?

wema628

May 30, 2010
USA / Tennessee
You should leave it off till you need it. In rad mode its trying to put sound out that its not getting. If you leave it on long enough you may burn the transformer up. And i said MAY not will.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
Rofocowboy84 said:
This is why I don't like sirens with only one Horn/Manual button. One button for the horn, and one for the manual and HF functions...

Yeah, I bought the SL100 two weeks before the SLSA1 came out with the separate horn button. I sure kicked myself in the ass for that one.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Ouch, that sucks...

That's why I'm glad I don't make more money than I do, by the time I save up for something, it's already been replaced with something 10x better, for the same price. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to make more money, but at least it helps in cases like this, lol...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.