RAL colors

LinTir

Jun 7, 2016
Germany
Hello everyone,
does anyone know the correct RAL color of the US emergency light Blue, Red and Amber?
I know the number of the European Blue, it's 5013, Cobalt Blue.
But couldn't find any information about the US Blue.

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Hello everyone,
does anyone know the correct RAL color of the US emergency light Blue, Red and Amber?
I know the number of the European Blue, it's 5013, Cobalt Blue.
But couldn't find any information about the US Blue.

I don't believe there are any formal color standards for the US. There certainly haven't been any historically, as there are lots of different shades of blue, red, and amber.

LinTir

Jun 7, 2016
Germany
I don't believe there are any formal color standards for the US. There certainly haven't been any historically, as there are lots of different shades of blue, red, and amber.
Really?
Didn't know that.
Well, being from a country where every little detail is regulated by law this won't happen in Germany.
Okay, thx for the answer

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Really?
Didn't know that.
Well, being from a country where every little detail is regulated by law this won't happen in Germany.
Okay, thx for the answer

Others on here will know more about this than I do but:

Yes the EU has much stricter regulations around emergency lighting. In the US, while there are some standards/recommendations published by industry trade groups (for example, by the National Fire Protection Association/NFPA), emergency lighting laws are legislated at the state level. That means each of the fifty states have their own set of laws about, for instance, which types of vehicles can display which colors of emergency lights. That's why in some states you'll only see red on fire apparatus and blue on police vehicles, but in others you'll see both colors on both. NY famously only allows red and white to the front and California requires a forward facing steady burn red. Etc. etc. I am not aware of any laws specifying a particular value for a particular color, rather most (all?) just specify general colors ("blue", "red", etc) and their allowed use.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.