Rate my future install

citypatrol

Nov 23, 2018
New York
Hey all.

I hope this is the right place to ask, and I want your opinions about my planned install.

I am a volunteer EMT, and my car will be used to respond to calls, as well as to respond when picking up the ambulance.

I live in NYC and thus am dealing with a lot of heavy traffic situations, busy intersections, as well as distracted/ ambivalent drivers.

The car I plan on outiftting is the Honda Passport or other similarly sized midsize SUVs.

Upper level front: Lightbar- Feniex GPL duo (RW front. RB rear)
Mid-level front: dash mounted RW slimlighteror avenger. Wig wags
Grille: 2x Whelen M9s (I know they're big and probably unnecessary but I got a great price on them and woukd love to stick them in the front)

Lisence plate mounted intersection-facing T-ions (1x per side)

Side warning: whelen strip-lite plus XL over wheel wells (1x per wheel)

Rear upper level: lightbar as above.
Rear mid level: 2x whelen M6 mounted aside the lisence plate.
Haw in the brake lights

It may seem like a lot but is it WAY too much or only slightly overkill?
Thanks

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
You're in the wrong place to ask about overkill, lol.

Roof bar is a good choice. Good 360 and multi color options. Dash area definitely avenger or feniex 2x. Grille?.....M9's will be the focal point for the entire front end especially if they are single color. Will likely drown out any HLF or dash light or probably roof bar at long range. If you can find the real estate in grille without compromising engine cooling needs I say do it. License plate light would be moot with th M9s.

Sides...more....skip the fenders and go full rocker panels or something in rear side windows or roof rack mounted about 12-28 inches length.

Rear...if the roof baf is mounted far enough forward on the roof it will be useless from the back. Go with 2 single heads mounted wide at the top of rear window. Then M6s on gate but move them further out. Otherwise it will look like a light blob from a distance. These will also likely drown out and TLF or hideaways you put in.

citypatrol

Nov 23, 2018
New York
Thanks for your comment
You're in the wrong place to ask about overkill, lol.

Roof bar is a good choice. Good 360 and multi color options. Dash area definitely avenger or feniex 2x. Grille?.....M9's will be the focal point for the entire front end especially if they are single color. Will likely drown out any HLF or dash light or probably roof bar at long range. If you can find the real estate in grille without compromising engine cooling needs I say do it. License plate light would be moot with th M9s.

Sides...more....skip the fenders and go full rocker panels or something in rear side windows or roof rack mounted about 12-28 inches length.

Rear...if the roof baf is mounted far enough forward on the roof it will be useless from the back. Go with 2 single heads mounted wide at the top of rear window. Then M6s on gate but move them further out. Otherwise it will look like a light blob from a distance. These will also likely drown out and TLF or hideaways you put in.
thanks for your comments.
My logic with the HLF, dash light, and HAW was for a toned down 360, for example when not responding to a call but For when I need to leave my car at the scene while transporting. Our protocol is to leave some lights running to warn other drivers (if we're double parked for example) and also to avoid getting a ticket if parked while not in a "regular" parking spot.
For the side I could add an ion or avenger in the rear third window? I like the rocker panels but don't want to rely on them too heavily because they're so low. What about a pair of intersectors under my mirrors?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
So I get that people say the rocker panels are low.. but the right one with decent off axis is better. Additionally, you will be on a midsize SUV. If anything I would use the slim lighter on the sides somewhere. I hate slim lighters being used as dash lights. I drove with one for a couple of months and hated it. Buy a real dash light and a second slim lighter and put them in the third side windows if you need too. M9's are going to be tough to install in most grills. Going to need to be a decent size grill but it will be impressive.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
What year passport ? Depending on grill you could get some feniex or Whelen ions or micros fit in there nice I did it before .
I would say send the M9 to the rear mounted on body near plate or on flat areas on the tailgate itself. Make the Whelen strip light the the single t ion. I think those fenders are little small for that large light. And the single T will blend better when off if you want additional you can throw some fusions on the step rail area and or a mirror Inter-sector and a dual fusion in rear window.
If you need an installer pm me

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Hey all.

I hope this is the right place to ask, and I want your opinions about my planned install.

I am a volunteer EMT, and my car will be used to respond to calls, as well as to respond when picking up the ambulance.

I live in NYC and thus am dealing with a lot of heavy traffic situations, busy intersections, as well as distracted/ ambivalent drivers.

The car I plan on outiftting is the Honda Passport or other similarly sized midsize SUVs.

Upper level front: Lightbar- Feniex GPL duo (RW front. RB rear)
Mid-level front: dash mounted RW slimlighteror avenger. Wig wags
Grille: 2x Whelen M9s (I know they're big and probably unnecessary but I got a great price on them and woukd love to stick them in the front)

Lisence plate mounted intersection-facing T-ions (1x per side)

Side warning: whelen strip-lite plus XL over wheel wells (1x per wheel)

Rear upper level: lightbar as above.
Rear mid level: 2x whelen M6 mounted aside the lisence plate.
Haw in the brake lights

It may seem like a lot but is it WAY too much or only slightly overkill?
Thanks

Don’t go with the Geo....go with the fusion or a better light bar. Feniex makes decent products, but the output of the “economical” Geo series has not impressed me. If you do with fusion, so with a combination of 40 & 180
Optics for the front ILB, and go just with 40 optics for the rear.

I think Striplite XLs would look goofy over the wheel wells of a marked vehicle, let alone an unmarked POV. Whelen T-ions over the wheel wells would be a better choice (if you wanna stay Whelen), or the SOS Mpower fascias will work too

The M9’s will look absolutely absurd in front of an SUV grill. I would not go any larger than M6’s in the SUV grill

M6’s, hideaways, & the rear light stick wouldn’t be overkill, but i def think you’d have more than sufficient lighting to the rear with just the rear light stick and hideaways

I think SOS intersectors under the mirrors would be a nice 180 degree side addition

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I concur on the GEO series. I must have missed that.. I avoid those at all cost and try to avoid them for my customers to the point where when get an order on my site for one, I try to contact the customer and offer them a fusion stick instead at a discounted rate.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.