Realtree fire helmets... ugh

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
Yes, these are real and they're made by Bullard. I would hope that nobody would wear one of these, but I know someone will. As if vollies didn't have enough stereotypes to live up to:

305042_10152123103410297_2093441063_n.jpg

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
I agree, it just Camo is really popular nowdays. We went from Black back in the day to yellow except line officers and the chief. Really liked the color change then, just made it so much easier to spot the other guy's. That would blend in too much with debris and such...Whats next full camo turnouts??

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Just clicked on this thread again & I threw up a little in my mouth. I swear if I see anyone try to get on my Engine wearing one of those I will make them hump hose until they fucking die

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
It's a neat novelty item to hang on the wall. Would make a good gift for a firefighter that hunts.

But that thing does NOT belong on a truck.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
Come up to Long Island and you'll see all sorts of decals and stickers on helmets. Guaranteed to have at least one wannabe in each department with a FDNY sticker on his helmet. Lame.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
well, they both look pretty dumb. to each their own though, must admit, thought about (however briefly) digitaling mine.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Most would not be able to wear it anyway. I believe most every department has helmet color requirements based on rank and or specific skills.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
purple for chief, regular for everyone else.

will go great here in the south. :crazy:

JMcManus

Jul 25, 2012
New York
I couldnt agree more with squad6, If my guys even flirted with the idea of this helmet we'd have serious problems. There is such a heavy sterotype about volunteer firemen as it is, do we need to go wave a flag with a camo helmet? Kindaaa off topic but I took a SCBA refresher a few years back and one of my favorite instructors of all time was going up one side and down the other of a probie who had a "no fear" sticker on his helmet. As the probie proceeded into the smoke house, the instructor pointed out the sticker and said "Does everyone see this sticker?? Would you like to know what this sticker really says??" We all answered in a lulled "yes" and he told us "Never follow the guy with the no fear sticker, hes going to kill you and your entire f*cking company"

Ever since then, I see someone with a no fear sticker on their helmet, and I turn and walk the other way, I aviod 'em like the plague

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
C420sailor said:
Come up to Long Island and you'll see all sorts of decals and stickers on helmets. Guaranteed to have at least one wannabe in each department with a FDNY sticker on his helmet. Lame.

Shoot, I see firefighters with also sorts of FDNY logos on everything all over the place.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
vonirkinshtine said:
Shoot, I see firefighters with also sorts of FDNY logos on everything all over the place.

No joke on this one. I own one item with FDNY on it, and that is a shirt. It was a gift, and I have never worn it.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
vonirkinshtine said:

My rural department has multiple guys on it that regularly wear FDNY shirts or other FDNY logo clothing. A few guys have FDNY patch stickers on their vehicles and/or gear. Thank god it's all inside the helmet stuff as our chief has made it very clear that we are not to "decorate" the department issued helmet.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I'm thinking of attaching antlers to my helmet. :weird:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
firefighter22 said:
I want one how much

ast123 said:
I'd wear one if it were allowed!

WHY!?!?! For Pete's sake, your helmet is probably one of the single most identifyable pieces of equipment other than the truck you rolled in on and as such should be a reflection of your prefessional attitude towards the job. Would you paint your Engine "realtree" or other trendy styles? Wait, don't answer that.

I much prefer my helmet to convey a sense of professionalisim instead of showing everyone how "cool" I am. I've got 2 stickers on my helmet, one of them says my last name and the other is some little "everyone goes home/end LODD" that Asst. Chief decided he want's on everyone helmet. I've also got a generic rubberband with a few door wedges, when I'm feeling really cheeky I replace the generic wood ones with neon colored rubber/plastic ones.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
foxtrot5 said:
WHY!?!?! For Pete's sake, your helmet is probably one of the single most identifyable [sIC] pieces of equipment other than the truck you rolled in on and as such should be a reflection of your prefessional [sIC] attitude towards the job.
People who have professionalism will bring that into the fire service with them. People who don't have professionalism adorn their gear with all sorts of novelties and like to melt their gear to look "cool" (of course, there is a huge safety aspect of having dirty gear, but I'm specifically talking about the "look").

GRANTED...there is no difference in quality of service between someone with a realtree helmet and dirty gear, and someone with "professional-looking" gear. You're going to have great firefighters in either category. But for me personally, who has a desk job and has to worry about "corporate dress codes", "professional appearance" is a peeve of mine.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
vonirkinshtine said:
People who have professionalism will bring that into the fire service with them. People who don't have professionalism adorn their gear with all sorts of novelties and like to melt their gear to look "cool" (of course, there is a huge safety aspect of having dirty gear, but I'm specifically talking about the "look").

GRANTED...there is no difference in quality of service between someone with a realtree helmet and dirty gear, and someone with "professional-looking" gear. You're going to have great firefighters in either category. But for me personally, who has a desk job and has to worry about "corporate dress codes", "professional appearance" is a peeve of mine.

As you did, I'm going to ignore the safety side of dirty/melted gear and focus on how it looks. The average American Taxpayer is, at best, ill-informed and at worst flat-out stupid at times. They believe that their tax dollars paid for every single piece of equipment a firefighter may use/wear/touch/see in the course of his/her duties. If I found out that my local department had "camo" helmets I'd be upset. I'd also have no idea that the Chief of the department said "as long as it's rated for use and you pay for it you can wear it" or whatever. If I called 911 and saw a bunch of guys roll up to my house in their personal vehicles and no one brought an engine I'd be furious. If I... you get the idea.

In today's world, it's not about what the message really is but how it's interpreted by the general public and I feel that "realtree" helmets send the wrong message. Specifically the message of "We're a bunch of rednecks who would rather be out shooting deer then putting out your house." Is that how the department really feels? I can pretty much promise 100% that NO, that's not how they feel but it's how the public sees it.

My chief has a wonderful theory on taxpaying citizens which I think can be applied to every aspect of firefighting, "No one notices a clean firetruck, EVERYONE notices a dirty firetruck."

edit: Just to clarify, in "The world according to foxtrot5" it wouldn't matter what you looked like/wore, how you got there, or anything else as long as the job got done safely and properly... sadly that world only exists in my head. (PS. In my world we can still ride tailboard too!)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.