Rear lighting dilemna

roaddawg7

Apr 7, 2013
Linden, VA
I just put together a 55in freedom for my f250, but have not mounted it yet as I need to see if there is a specific bracket for my truck. I have a camper top that's the same height as my cab so its flush all the way back. Far away you can see the rear lights of the bar, but close up you cant. I have an all red linz6 dominator in the rear window of my topper that's flash only. I have another dominator that's tri3 amber with red end flashers with the t/a controller.

My thought was to put the linz6 red heads into the t/a frame. But now i'm thinking an all red t/a might not work as well as the amber with red ends. I think people respond better to amber lights than red. I was going to do the t/a on the freedom but I think the t/a in the rear window is better.

Any thought?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I just put together a 55in freedom for my f250, but have not mounted it yet as I need to see if there is a specific bracket for my truck. I have a camper top that's the same height as my cab so its flush all the way back. Far away you can see the rear lights of the bar, but close up you cant. I have an all red linz6 dominator in the rear window of my topper that's flash only. I have another dominator that's tri3 amber with red end flashers with the t/a controller.

My thought was to put the linz6 red heads into the t/a frame. But now i'm thinking an all red t/a might not work as well as the amber with red ends. I think people respond better to amber lights than red. I was going to do the t/a on the freedom but I think the t/a in the rear window is better.

Any thought?

My 3 questions are:
1) what’s the primary role of the vehicle (POV response to station/scene or fire police POV that blocks roads)?
2) how often do you use your vehicle to block/direct traffic?
3) is there tint to the rear of the topper?

I’d vote for the TIR3 Amber if you often use the vehicle a lot for traffic/parking on scene at calls and if there’s a decent amt of tint. The TIR3 Amber would also be my vote if you have flashing inboards to the rear of the freedom (that will handle most of the warning, and the TA dominator will direct traffic and provide some warning closer up when the freedom is obscured).

On the other hand, I’d use the red linz6 if you’re mostly using it for response (and occasionally block roads) and if there’s little/no tint. Ideally, I’d mount the linz6 stick on top of the topper (you can sell the rear freedom inboards then b/c they’ll be unnecessary IMO as the dominator will take care of rear warning), but I’m guessing you already considered that and don’t wanna drill holes.

Another thought, if you’re undecided, is to use the TA controller with 4 Amber TIR3 inboards and Red Linz6 for the remaining outer modules. It’ll combine punch of TIR and off axis of linz6, plus you still get a large Amber footprint in the center

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The strap kit you need is probably Whelen part STPKT38L. You might be able to get by with a STPKT38 which includes shorter straps, as it is specified for mounting a 60" bar. Source: http://www.whelen.com/auto/product.php?head_id=4&cat_id=17&prod_id=75

These also go by MKEZ38L and MKEZ38, respectively.

There is a STPKT38L available here: http://cgi.ebay.com/182652522937

Member PeteL indicates that the drawing numbers on the STPKT38 straps should be 62898, here: https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/whelen-strap-kit.65134/#post-531276

I don't know what drawing numbers are on the STPKT38L straps off the top of my head.

There was a member IsraelH who had a STPKT38 available last summer. Perhaps he has more. That post is here: https://elightbars.org/forums/threa...t-for-sx-liberty-for-f-250.75885/#post-594187

Last edited:
Reactions: StEaLtH2

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davegrn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.