Rear Lights on CO Police Dodge

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
When watching news coverage of the shooting in Arapahoe, CO last evening and this evening, I happened to notice the rear of a Dodge police vehicle and saw that it was rigged to quickly flash the entire oval of the rear lights. It also flashed the back-up light, as well as rear deck lights.

I have not seen this display before. Is it a common practice for the Charger when used as an emergency vehicle? Do the brake lights light the same oval? What about the turn signals - are they half the oval, each?

Thanks,

Steve

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
YouTube is your friend. Thats how the 2011 (I think that was the year) and newer charger tail light flashers work.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
That was probably a Douglas County Sheriff's department unit (If it was all black or black and white) user dpm9917 (Devin) is with LAWS equipment and does the installs for DougCo, you can shoot him an e-mail at DMARCIANO@LAWS1.COM and ask him specifically if you would like. They are a great group of people and have a good shop. If it was an Arapahoe County unit (They only have a few older Chargers) they get installed in house by Arapahoe County Fleet Services or Av-Tech Electronics and am not sure how they work it anymore. Av-Tech did all of their stuff for many years but that has probably changed since.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Ryan,

Thanks for the background info. I don't drive a Charger, but I hadn't seen that type pf lighting before. However, I think it was a great idea to use these unique style of break lights for the effect, as well as using an override switch to allow the brake lights to function as designed.

Steve

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
The Charger PPV comes with factory BRAKE light flasher, controlled by the PCM. This alternates the BRAKE lights and has an over ride when the BRAKE pedal is pressed. The flashing of the whole LED tail light bar is done by an after market flasher, and only flashes the LED's at tail light output, where the brake lights are a higher out put.

Personally I do not care for the tail light bar flashing, there is no out line of the vehicle, not visible in sunlight, and not noticeable from a distance at night.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
To each his own.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I know what you are saying, HiLo, but I've seen several different flash patterns on those stock dodge LED running lights and brake lights so that is why I was suggesting contacting the installer who likely did it who could confirm the way they did it, if they went with what came from the factory, or added something else, is all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.