Rear Warning Help

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
The Background: I'm Fire Police Captain for a rural volunteer fire department. I typically respond direct to scene in my POV, a 2014 Jeep Cherokee, which currently has only a Red/White Feniex Apollo Mini-X. Once on scene, I'd say about 50% of the time I end up at the scene itself amid other emergency vehicles, while 50% of the time I'm elsewhere, either providing advanced warning on the highway, or doing traffic control or a road closure on secondary roads.

The Problem: I'm finding that if I shut down to all red once on scene (especially at night) that the lightbar can easily start to blend in among taillights and the like. I'd like to add some amber into the mix to make it pop a bit more. But given our limited call volume, I'd like to still keep my set-up somewhat simple and cost effective, ideally less than $150.

Possible Solutions:
  1. (Used) Whelen Tir6 Slimlighter - Centered high in rear windshield
  2. Feniex Fusion 200 (40 degree optic) - Centered high in rear windshield
And Finally, the Questions:
  1. Does it make more sense to have both lightheads be amber? Or one red, one amber?
  2. Is the Slimlighter comparable behind tint to the Fusion 200? Or would the Fusion be noticeably brighter, being the newer technology
  3. Would you prefer the separation of the lightheads provided by the Slimlighter, or the compactness of the Fusion 200?
  4. And finally, what are your thoughts on throwing solution one and two out the window, and just doing a single Feniex T3 on either top corner of the rear window? And again, one red/one amber, or both amber?
I'm totally overthinking things, but I figure overthinking warning lights is a specialty of those who frequent these forums, so I'm interested in any and all input, as well as the reasoning behind your answers, even if it's just personal preference.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
For any vehicle performing a blocking function as you describe I'm a big proponent of only amber in the rear.
I recommend mounting 4 amber heads high in your hatch window (any brand will do), 2 each side, flashing in an X pattern at 75-90 fpm.
As a supplement, an amber traffic arrow mounted below the headliner, flashing only 3 patterns: left, center out, right, "sequenced to on" (FedSig's pattern- each head comes on in the direction of the signal until all are on).

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
To be honest, I prefer spreading the lighting out. Some supplemental lighting on the rear license plate area to compliment the roof minibar would be nice (as opposed to having a minibar with a light stick right beneath it).

I’m a big fan of amber to the rear. It’s a recognized safety/slow down color and it’s an all around more effective color than red (weaker at night) and blue (weaker at day).

Strobes N More has a special sale on interior Whelen Dominator6+ for like $170. Otherwise, for your price point, a SNM or AWL stick will fit your budget

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.