Reattaching the Federal Visibar Chain

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Some said they wished I had recorded how I attach the chain in my Visibar using string. Well I had to do a little work on my Visibar motor so I took the opportunity to video how I reattach the chain using string. It is a 4 minute uncut video that shows how I do it. If you have a second set of hands it is even easier. For this video I did it by myself to show it can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The visa bar chain is one of the most maddening tasks in vintage light restoration.  Thanks for the tip/video.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
If you are lucky enough to have two people, have one pull both strings apart and tip the sprocket into the chain and it goes right on. Just hold upward tension on the string as you drop the sprocket into the hole.   If I ever have to disassemble  it again, i will do a two person video.  The first time my wife helped but this time I needed her as a photographer.  Figured more people could use the one person method. 

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If you are lucky enough to have two people, have one pull both strings apart and tip the sprocket into the chain and it goes right on. Just hold upward tension on the string as you drop the sprocket into the hole.   If I ever have to disassemble  it again, i will do a two person video.  The first time my wife helped but this time I needed her as a photographer.  Figured more people could use the one person method. 

How many elb members does it take to change a light?   :)

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Just wanted to share another success. Someone sent me a note after following the video instructions:

?So annoying, I'm trying to get that freaking chain in for an hour or so... Will try this now, thanks for the tip!"

It worked! finally. :) I put the slave light in first because that's the easiest for me. just pulled the chain out a bit, attached it and put it back in. then the master light with the help of two strings and a small screwdriver. took me not more than 5 minutes. I guess without the strings it's almost impossible.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.