• Chat is Back! It's helped many people get the information they've needed in the past... maybe we can get it busy enough to help a new generation of information seekers!

Recent Incident

JazzDad

Just Another Faceless Member
Silver Supporter
Thursday, the owner of an OHV called our Assistant Chief to report that their vehicle was on fire. The Chief told them to hang up and immediately call 9-1-1. The Chief went directly to the scene via POV. About the time he hit the driveway the tones dropped. The Chief found the Ranger to be fully involved, and already a total write-off. When the first engine arrived (about 1 ½ miles from the station) a few minutes later, only the tires needed to be extinguished. After the fire, the owner reported that a 20 lb. portable propane cylinder in the back of the Ranger had exploded. The cylinder was found about 150 feet away. The safety valve on the propane cylinder did not operate as designed.

Cylinder.jpg Cylinder2.jpg Rnger.jpg

jph2

The propane cylinder caused the fire? How did it get hot enough to blow or build pressure to need the relief valve to actuate in the first place? Lucky no one got hurt.

jmamrak

Established Member
How were there high enough concentrations of propane in the air to have the correct mixture outside? Even without wind I don’t see it.

Sparky_911

Gold Supporter
My guess is the ride caught fire by other means and BLEVE'd the propane tank. Or the tank blew due to the bad valve and resulted in the fire.

OP
OP
JazzDad

JazzDad

Silver Supporter
Give the cigar to Sparky for his first line.

The OHV had electrical problems in the past. It was operated in tall, dry grass that morning. When the owner came back outside from a lunch break they saw the vehicle on fire and the cylinder take off.

NVFD612

Established Member
Jazz,

Glad to see the OTV owner is alright, maybe a need to do an extra load of laundry... from the pictures it appears it didn't get into the grass too far, or you might have had a long day.

Dennis
NVFD612

jmamrak

Established Member
I’ve seen a lot of vehicle fires they always are a total loss and the gas tank is never the first thing to blow. I’ve rolled up on fully involved vehicles and 2 mins in to attack the gas tank just then goes.

Jarred J.

Archive Expert
Silver Supporter
Off highway vehicle..

Aka

4 wheeler
Utv
Side by side
Gator, Kubota, or other regional slang

OP
OP
JazzDad

JazzDad

Silver Supporter
I’ve seen a lot of vehicle fires they always are a total loss and the gas tank is never the first thing to blow. I’ve rolled up on fully involved vehicles and 2 mins in to attack the gas tank just then goes.
At least with the plastic tanks, we don't see the blasts like the steel tanks of older vehicles.

jmamrak

Established Member
At least with the plastic tanks, we don't see the blasts like the steel tanks of older vehicles.
That’s before my time. Like structures of the past that take 5-10 mins to become a full compartment fire. That’s a joke by today’s standards and materials. I would say 2-5 mins now a days and you have a room and contents fire.

Latest Listings

Top Bottom