Recent Incident

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Thursday, the owner of an OHV called our Assistant Chief to report that their vehicle was on fire. The Chief told them to hang up and immediately call 9-1-1. The Chief went directly to the scene via POV. About the time he hit the driveway the tones dropped. The Chief found the Ranger to be fully involved, and already a total write-off. When the first engine arrived (about 1 ½ miles from the station) a few minutes later, only the tires needed to be extinguished. After the fire, the owner reported that a 20 lb. portable propane cylinder in the back of the Ranger had exploded. The cylinder was found about 150 feet away. The safety valve on the propane cylinder did not operate as designed.

Cylinder.jpgCylinder2.jpgRnger.jpg

Reactions: NVFD612 and jph2

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
The propane cylinder caused the fire? How did it get hot enough to blow or build pressure to need the relief valve to actuate in the first place? Lucky no one got hurt.

Reactions: JazzDad

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
My guess is the ride caught fire by other means and BLEVE'd the propane tank. Or the tank blew due to the bad valve and resulted in the fire.

Reactions: JazzDad and NVFD612

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Give the cigar to Sparky for his first line.

The OHV had electrical problems in the past. It was operated in tall, dry grass that morning. When the owner came back outside from a lunch break they saw the vehicle on fire and the cylinder take off.

Reactions: Sparky_911

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Jazz,

Glad to see the OTV owner is alright, maybe a need to do an extra load of laundry... from the pictures it appears it didn't get into the grass too far, or you might have had a long day.

Dennis
NVFD612

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I’ve seen a lot of vehicle fires they always are a total loss and the gas tank is never the first thing to blow. I’ve rolled up on fully involved vehicles and 2 mins in to attack the gas tank just then goes.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Off highway vehicle..

Aka

4 wheeler
Utv
Side by side
Gator, Kubota, or other regional slang

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I’ve seen a lot of vehicle fires they always are a total loss and the gas tank is never the first thing to blow. I’ve rolled up on fully involved vehicles and 2 mins in to attack the gas tank just then goes.

At least with the plastic tanks, we don't see the blasts like the steel tanks of older vehicles.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
At least with the plastic tanks, we don't see the blasts like the steel tanks of older vehicles.
That’s before my time. Like structures of the past that take 5-10 mins to become a full compartment fire. That’s a joke by today’s standards and materials. I would say 2-5 mins now a days and you have a room and contents fire.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.