Recent pickup in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Vintage & Collectible' started by tsquale, Aug 27, 2017.

1. tsquale

tsquale Site Minion Platinum Level Member

Grabbed these from a cameraman in Minnesota. Early testing has revealed the following. Aerodynic (sold): works 100%, no flasher installed so end PAR bulbs are steady burn, has the uncommon endcap inserts behind clear lenses to allow warning and alley lights. Three gear rotators on each side. Omni-Chief did not power up (looks like possibly a loose wire issue), and the SD (sold) works but a belt appears to have fallen off. Haven't tested the Beacon Ray yet. All will probably end up for sale

IMG_20170822_215626597.jpg IMG_20170822_215616439.jpg IMG_20170822_215607817.jpg IMG_20170822_215507262.jpg IMG_20170822_215500162.jpg IMG_20170822_215429596.jpg IMG_20170822_215417930.jpg received_10155597555919929.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    CrownVic97, Mndlm, jph2 and 4 others like this.
  2. lotsofbars

lotsofbars Veteran Member

Nice haul. Does that Beacon Ray have a bare brass base?

tsquale likes this.
  3. tsquale

Maybe? Didn't spend much time looking at it. It was just thrown in with the lightbar purchase. I didn't see evidence of chrome though

4. dmathieu

dmathieu Premium Member

Way to go!!

tsquale likes this.
  5. lotsofbars

lotsofbars Veteran Member

Interesting. It looks like an older pipe mount version. I wonder what it was used for.

6. Stampeed Valkyrie

Stampeed Valkyrie Senior Member Silver Level Member

I thought the uncommon aero alley inserts where the ones that had colored endcaps with a clear center?

Nice score regardless.

7. tsquale

Heck! Maybe, haha. I thought the endcap filters were what everyone wanted

8. jph2

jph2 Senior Member

Agreed, nice haul. You always seem to find these. ;)

tsquale likes this.
  9. Scoot163

Scoot163 Site Veteran

Great score on all! But to get the Dietz Omni Chief endcaps? Priceless.

tsquale likes this.
  10. JazzDad

JazzDad Just Another Faceless Member Silver Level Member

Whenever I see a thread title with 'what I picked up', I somehow think we're going to see a photo of a hooker.

Dave F, lotsofbars and tsquale like this.
  11. Thomas1234

Thomas1234 Site Regular

Great haul congrats! From a cameraman, so these bar must have been used in some great car chase action movie?

tsquale likes this.
  12. tsquale

IF they were, he failed to mention it. The SD he had gotten from a rural agency's brush truck that was rarely used and garage kept. Unsure about the others. Aerodynic obviously appears more weathered and the Dietz has some cracks

13. tsquale

Well, finally cracking in to the Omni-Chief.... Or what's left of it. :(

Someone removed the motor, made the rotators stationary and attached 550 can flashers. But wait! There's more! They cut the domes on the sides that tuck under the speaker housing for who knows what reason and added a black adhesive on the interior of the speaker grill to prevent presumably moisture from getting to the wiring hack. Ugh.

This is one of the few times I refuse to restore a bar and will be parting it out instead.

14. Stampeed Valkyrie

Stampeed Valkyrie Senior Member Silver Level Member

That really sucks..

but on the flip side I am making good progress with the SD bar. Should have it completed soon.

tsquale likes this.
  15. tsquale

It does. I was looking forward to getting it cleaned up and running as I really enjoy the belt drive system. Hopefully there is someone who needs the parts I was able to salvage.

Be sure to post some photos of it when you're done with the SD! I'm sure it will come out great

16. nybucketman

nybucketman Member

Interested in the beacon ray!

tsquale likes this.
  17. tsquale

Haven't tested it yet, but certainly willing to test it and sell it. PM with an offer

18. tsquale

Good news! Runs like a top! Dome and base show signs of age, with some dents and a small crack in the base. But those could easily be hidden if displayed on a shelf.

Maxim2Eng, lotsofbars and OliverD like this.